Chapter 13: Fake It.

"Do not wear that blue sweater for God's sake Elene." Conan pleaded as he saw me holding it in front of the mirror and checking if it could go with my jeans.

I raised one eyebrow.

"Oh please, what do you know?" I said ostentatiously.

"Exactly, I don't know. I just came from Melanie's place and she told me to tell you not to wear the blue sweater you find so amusing, but it's not. And uhm, she's right." He said as he went into his room.

Ugh. Only if Melanie didn't have that influence on me. I put my blue sweater on the bed and looked for the beige one.

Wait, did Conan say he came from Melanie's place?

"Hey Con, what were you doing at Mel's?" I shouted, too lazy to go across my room to his.

"Uh..." he hesitated.

"Nothing, I was just passing by her house and I had her favorite donut so... So I thought I could surprise her and drop by. You know how much she loves donuts, and surprises." I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out.

I would believe him, except that Melanie hates donuts. I know it's weird, but then again, so is she.

It wasn't so convincing, but I didn't have time to argue, Melanie will tell me tomorrow.

It was six already and I had to reach the Central Park by 6:15. The park was ten minutes far and I had to walk so I'd better be off by now.

It was so cold, I was happy I had my coat on. As I reached the entrance of the park, I was looking for a bench when I spotted James coming out of his shining black Audi.

I looked away as soon as his eyes searched mine. I could imagine him grinning. Before he could walk towards me and start another awkward conversation, I ran to his car and opened the door.

"Hey." I said blowing air into my hands to keep them warm.

"Hi." He looked at me and smiled.

"What?" I said, louder than I was supposed to.

He grinned, looking for words. "You look..."

"I don't wanna know." I interrupted putting my hand on his mouth, and taking it back when I saw him leering.

Ugh. It's getting awkward so quick.

We remained quiet the whole way, because I didn't want to say anything and he respected that. Thank God.

~~~

The music was so loud I could hear which song was playing from the main road.

"Fuck!" James whispered all of a sudden gripping my hand and pulling me towards him averting me to enter the house.

I pushed my eyebrows together. "What?" I asked him abruptly.

He had a timorous yet adorable look spread all across his face and sweat covering his forehead. I chortled.

"Okay, are you acting Elene? Because you nailed me." I said contemptuously but his expression didn't amend.

"Well, it's just looking like you're terrified to go to a party and I'm laughing at you like you do at me at times. And this sounds so crazy, it's starting to freak me out."

"Actually-" he pulled me towards him and pointed to an average height girl with very short blonde hair and a very commendable posture. She was standing at the bar with a glass of wine in both hands each.

"She's Gwen Young. She used to be with me in my older school too. She's a total freak. She's like crazy over me. Whenever I go to parties, I pretend like I'm with someone or else she tries to hug me, kiss me and get over me in all possible ways. I never even thought that she'll be here." He explained.