Chapter 33: Hung Up.

"James, don't go."

"I hate you."

"James-"

"You're still so hung up on Adrian it's obvious."

"I'm not!"

"Yes you are!"

"I'm not! I'm not! I'm not!"

"Elene, calm down it's just a dream." Was the first thing I heard from mom as she motioned me to wake up.

I opened my eyes with tears trickling down. I looked at her concerned face and hugged her.

She ran a hand through my hair, soothing me. "It's okay, honey. Take the pill today, okay?" She said softly.

"Okay."

"You could stay home if you want, you don't seem good today." She said as Conan came inside, probably because of my yells.

"Is she okay?" He asked mom in a worried tone. Mom replied him with a gentle nod.

"No, I'll go. I'm fine and besides, I could use the distraction." I said, getting up from the bed to get ready.

2 weeks later

The hype about today was understandable.

Everyone was so excited and nervous all at the same time. I could hear yelling of instructions and orders telling us about the positions, placements, standbys and timings.

I couldn't help but feel nervous, nervous than I'd been in two weeks.

I was adamant on talking to him over, telling him everything he needed to know and he should know.

I was ready, and I wasn't backing down now.

"He's-he isn't here yet." I stuttered, looking at Melanie.

Melanie was pretty confident that he'd come today. Today was our annual play of 'Pyramus and Thisbe' in which James was Pyramus.

"But if he'd landed last night, wouldn't anyone know? Least of all, Damian?" Courtney said, tensing me further.

He said he'd come today.

"Call me rude, but he didn't leave on good terms with Elene. Maybe he didn't want to come? Elene's Thisbe, and they have a lot of scenes together." Dwayne said, stating the facts.

He can't just chicken out.

"But Courtney's right," said Amanda. "Someone should've known if James had landed yesterday and is back in town." We looked at Damian in anticipation.

He chuckled nervously. "I wish I'd known." Was all he said.

"Hey, listen." Cecelia said, forcing me aside, but still in hearing distance of everyone. "He's going to come. I know him, we all do." She explained. Everyone nodded except of Violet, who showed no interest in our tensed conversation whatsoever.

Jordan glared at her to say something that could help.

"What? I'm not gonna say anything to make you guys feel any better. What she did was pretty shitty." Violet said abuptly.

She didn't know half of the story.

Well neither did Cecelia, Jordan, Dwayne, Damian and Greg, but they chose to console me any way.

The past two weeks I'd completely zoned out of everything going on in school.

Because of Cecelia and Dwayne's constant pressure, we all sat together and everybody avoided to talk about James for me, until today.

They all seemed excited and almost edgy.

Melanie was the head of the play with most responsibilities, so she was freaking out here and then.

I didn't had it in me to calm her down, I was pretty occupied myself.

What if Dwayne is right? What if he really has canceled the plan to come back as of now?

"The play's about to start in about an hour, guys." Greg said, breaking the tension and bringing all of us back to reality.

"Uh, can you- can you guys stall the audience for a while? Maybe if we wait-"

"Be realistic Elene. There is a very minute chance of him coming, now. Who knows if he's even in town?" Amanda said, interrupting me.

"No, Elene has a point. What if he actually comes? At least in Elene's defense, she did wait for him." Courtney proposed, supporting my idea.

This was the first time Amanda and Courtney ever had different opinions.

"I can stall the audience." Dwayne spoke up, after contemplating things in his mind.

"I volunteer too!" Melanie chirped, now excited.

Excited? Anticipated.

"Me too!" Cecelia, Greg and Courtney said.

The others had to prepare props for the play so they went to work.

"Don't worry. I have a feeling he'll come." Dwayne said, winking as he gave an uplifting smile to me and left.

"Hey, how long could you stall them?" I called out to them.

"Maximum? An hour."

So that gives me two hours to wait.

~~~

An hour had already passed and I could see how Dwayne and Melanie's effort was going to waste.

Where were you James?

The teachers weren't panicking since they already had Pyramus' standby which was Paul. Even if James decided not to come, they'd have no problem in replacing him with Paul.

But I was panicking, panicking big time.

"Is he even coming?!" Cecelia expressed, as she entered the classroom I was waiting in. Along with her, came in Violet.

I looked at her with raised eyebrows, not knowing what to say. "I don't really know." I whispered, finally giving up.

"You should at least get ready now, forty five minutes are left for the play to start and you're in the opening scene." Violet said, something valid for the first time.

"I'm coming." I gave in. I don't know if he's even planning to come now too.

They left after acknowledging a nod. Before I left the room, I thought it'd be better if I called him.

I don't know what I was thinking but I just dialed his number quickly after the thought.

It went straight to Voice mail. I groaned.

Sighing briefly, I spoke to the voice mail thinking he's standing with me.

"Hey, James. It's me." I cleared my throat, continuing, "You're probably shit loads annoyed because of me but I just want you to know that I really want you to come back and I want to talk to you about...stuff." I didn't really know what else to say. I wanted to clear stuff face to face, not over the phone. "Just-just please come back, okay?"

I felt a slight tickle on the back of my neck, somebody exhaling and a playful chuckle.

"Okay."

---

I wanted to keep it short, sorry!

VOTE. COMMENT. RECOMMEND! ❤