Turn of Events - Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

RYDER’s POV

Where is she? She should be here by now. It never takes her this long to get home. What if something is wrong? Should I go look for her?

I think of all this while I sit by my balcony eagerly awaiting Arianna’s arrival. Maybe she’s already home but Skye took the car. I better go check.

Hopping off my lounger on my balcony I rush into my room, grab a clean gray plain tee to go with my faded black jeans and put on some cologne then head out next door.

Nervously ringing the door bell I cautiously listen for any noise in the house. Nothing. I hear nothing.

Suddenly tiny footsteps come dashing down the stairs and grow louder as they approach me. A few clicks and clacks and the door is unlocked, revealing a very blond, make-up stuffed Skye.

“Uh hey.” I awkwardly say as her gloom turns into joy. “Oh my gosh Ryder. How did you know where I lived? Did you stalk me or something?” She asks a little bit too enthusiastically. With a malevolent smile she powerfully drags me into the house while offering me something to drink while I took a seat. Whoa she was strong, I thought to myself.

“Here you go.” She says as she handed me a coke. “So what brings you down here?” she adds, blissfully sipping on her diet coke.

“Uh, I was actually looking for Arianna.” I calmly say. When I said this I could tell she was bewildered when I mentioned her name.

“I’m sorry who?” She asks with a fake smile plastered on her powdered cheeks. Slowly realizing who I was talking about she let out a sheepish laugh and corrected herself. “Oh yes Arianna, what do you want her for?”

“Well I live right next door and came round here before and we hung out and everything. I was hoping her and I could do the same thing today as well considering I don’t have any homework and stuff.” I say cautiously.

The look on her face quickly turned back into the fake smile she had on a few seconds ago but this time through gritted teeth. It was at this point I realized I never should have opened my mouth in the first place.

Slowly putting her drink down she swallows spitefully and walks to sit beside me on the couch. After she clears her throat she finally speaks.

“Feel it.” She whispers.”I said feel it.” With that she grabs my hand and slaps it hard on her chest. “Can you feel it?”She says once more. “My heart is broken.” She says as she slowly closes her eyes and caresses my hand that is still on her chest.

Still freaked out about what she’s talking about I decided to say something before she makes my hand go somewhere else too. “Uh, sorry?” I slowly utter. A slight groan escaped her pink plump lips as she nodded – eyes still closed.

“You can help me with that.” She whispers again. This time she leans forward and we’re now face to face with only a few centimeters to separate us. Slowly leaning back every time she leaned forward, I found myself lying on the couch with her on top of me. With a smug look on her face she spoke. “I knew you would help me.” Then a wink flew at me.

“No Skye. Get off me. You’re obviously not okay. You have a boyfriend remember? And I came to see Arianna, not you.” I say as she dramatically falls off me. At this point she stood up and went to the coffee table where she drank all her Coke in four large swigs. I was convinced that was not Coke when she staggered around the room angrily.

Ripping at her hair and scratching herself she started ranting.

“You’re so stupid Ryder. Can’t you see I like you, but you’re here talking about seeing Arianna. It’s always Arianna Arianna Arianna isn’t it? No one ever has time for Skye anymore. Even my boyfriend doesn’t have time for me. I give him everything and he doesn’t even try. You know sometimes I think he’s out there cheating on me most of the time. I never seem to be enough for anyone, and it fucking sucks to feel like that. It fucking sucks. I can’t take it anymore. I just need someone to love me. Not even my parents love me. They’re off in Paris working and they didn’t even think of bringing me along. They said I’m a big girl and I can take care of myself, but no. Look at me. I’m a wreck because no one fucking cares. No one loves me.” With that she sank back onto the couch with her eyes wet and so I took this as my cue to comfort her.

Who knew she was going through all this by herself. And it’s not like I can just leave her here alone. I’ll have to stay until she’s sobered up at least.

After a few minutes of crying on my chest she fell asleep as I sat there waiting for her to wake up again. Eventually she did and she was better than she was before. We then stated talking about how things could get better and if she needed professional help. After all that talk was over, we cozily sat and watched one of her favourite movies as she cuddled up with me.

A twist of a key and in walked Arianna with her hair all damp and frizzy. Not noticing I was on the couch with Skye she simply spoke as she took off her heels. “Skye are you watching that movie for the three hundredth time?”

Looking up from her feet she looked baffled as she saw Skye and I both looking at her. Awkwardly shifting in the couch I took that as my cue to leave. “I see you’re in good hands now Skye. Goodnight.” I say and walked to Arianna, who still looked mystified by what she just saw.

“Hey, I waited for you to come home and when you didn’t show up I decided to come and-“With that she cut me off simply by raising a hand to my face. “You don’t need to explain. I saw what I saw.” And then she walked upstairs silently as I watched her go.