Chapter 49: Wedding Eve {Basil}

I toss a few more potsherds into the trash bag, surveying the yet expansive field of broken china and pottery strewn about the drive court, "I didn't think there'd be this much."

"On the contrary I'm surprised there isn't more. Even so I'm quite happy they decided to follow the tradition." Zipporah hums, hands filling with the material. I hold the bag open as she dumps the armful in.

"So you approve of this, Zipporah?" I jokingly inquire. She chuckles and kisses my cheek.

"Natürlich! [Of course!]

"I'm beginning to wonder if there is any element to our traditions that will faze you. You have been zealous in including customs from both of our cultures into our engagement and wedding."

"The only one that might disturb me is the tradition where the bride is kidnapped."

"I wouldn't worry. We aren't in a small village so you being kidnapped would probably spark more drama than it'd be worth. On an international scale too," I assure, "But Polterabend is the most celebrated ritual."

"So I see." She motions to the broken wares again and we laugh. I take in her smile and laughter with the realization that tomorrow morning both of our lives are really going to change. She will no longer be Fräulein Zipporah Roux. She'll be Frau Zipporah Kaiser, Prinzessin von Eldstein. Even so, I can't help but pose the question I've been asking in rapid succession for the past two weeks. My heart constricts and I exhale.

"Zipporah, are you really ready?" I ask timidly and she ceases movement, "Because I-"

Zipporah kisses me deeply and I pull her to me, responding earnestly to her. The trash bag slips to the ground and I envelope Zipporah in my arms. My heart steadies again. A few long moments and we split. She wraps her arms around my torso, "Basil, I promise that you will see me at seven thirty tomorrow morning ready for the ceremony. We're already legally married, and I didn't stiff you then did I?" I lean down and embrace her as tightly as I dare.

"I know, I'm just... It's all so quick that I worry about whether or not you are truly happy with everything." I admit.

"Don't worry. I don't have cold feet," She chirps and picks up the disposal bag, "Come on now, Basil, we need to clean up the mess."

"Ja." I agree, releasing her accordingly. In minutes we're finished with the ritual and I walk with her on my arm to the car, helping her in. Silence sinks in for most of the drive, both of us deep in thought. When I pull up to Grandfather's estate, where she and her family have been staying, I help her back out and walk her to the front doors. We stand outside, speechless, until she kisses my cheek.

"Ich liebe Sie! [I love You!]"  Zipporah croons and embraces me. I kiss her in response.

"Ich liebe Sie mehr! [I love You more!]"  We share our final kiss as fiances and take our leave. Tomorrow shall be a very big day.

Polterabend is a German Wedding "Hochzeit" ritual where friends and family meet outside the couple's to-be home the eve of the wedding. They then break china and pottery, which the couple must clean up. This symbolizes the first mess they have to clean and is believed to cast out bad spirits as well as bless the couple with good luck and fertility.

Please comment and vote! The next chapter is the finale of the book so please stay tuned! Thanks for all the support!

~Uilosris