Chapter Six: Trust {Basil}

I glance down to my right at Zipporah as we walk down the hallway. She is still trying to ward off any concern about her injured hands, but it's obvious that it's very painful to her. I still take full responsibility for it since I didn't think about it before I surprised her. "How are your hands, Miss Roux?"

"They'll be fine, your highness."

"Are you sure you do not want to go to the doctor?"

"I'm positive, thank you for your concern, your highness." The tone in which she replies hints at something deeper underneath her beautiful exterior Exotic is how I would describe it. I take a mental note of it and make a right at the end of the hall, away from the staff cafe. "Your highness, where are we going?"

"Lunch, Miss Roux."

"I usually eat at the staff cafe, Prince Basil."

"That is why I am treating you out. Have you spent much time exploring Eldstein, Miss Roux?"

"No. I've been grocery shopping a few times but I try to focus on my work instead of play."

"Do you have no interest?"

"Your highness, I have a great love for exploring foreign cultures and countries. I simply have not had the time to sight-see yet." I halt in my tracks, mildly surprised at how strongly she answered me. I turn around to find her blushing, ready to melt to the floor in fear of punishment for speaking. "I'm sorry, I should not have spoken so harshly, Prince Basil."

"It is perfectly fine, Miss Roux. You do not need to apologize. In fact, I am glad to hear you speak." Zipporah blushes even deeper, but her sharp blue eyes light up. I smile and we continue onwards to the underground parking lot, which is used by select royals, officials and high ranking employees. I forget that she is not accustomed to these things and stroll casually into the lot towards a fully accessorized black BMW, my family's go to vehicle for business use. When I no longer hear footsteps I turn my head to see her frozen to the concrete, reluctant to follow me. "Miss Roux?"

"Are you certain that this is a good idea?" She inquires, "How do I know to trust you and vice versa?"

"Do you not trust me?"

"I'm not especially comfortable with a Prince being sporadically generous to someone foreign and strange. I would prefer to go home unblemished." My eyes narrow.

"Miss Roux, I promise that my intentions are of good intent and pure. If you find they are not, you have my explicit permission to inform me and defend yourself. I hope you will grow to be more comfortable, though."

"Okay then." She responds and I unlock the car, opening the passenger side for her to get in, which she does surprisingly quickly. I hurry to the driver's seat and jump in, an extra, unexpected spurt of adrenaline coursing through me. I look over as I start the car. She is fumbling with her seat belt, trying to maneuver it into the buckle without hurting herself. I hold off a few seconds before she sighs. "Would you please help me, your highness?"

"Of course." I reach across and fasten the belt, careful not to come too close to her. I want her to trust me. I hand her a pair of thick shades and put on my own as we exit the lot.

"Is it supposed to be a surprise, Prince Basil?"

"No. Any preferences?"

"... Simple. Nothing too fancy."

"There's a small bake shop nearby, then. I'm pretty sure you'll like it." She bursts out chuckling. "What is it?"

"I find it amusing how I agreed to go to lunch with a Prince at a bake shop." I have to join in the laughter.

"Why did you agree?"

"It's a one in a billion chance to even meet a prince, let alone go to lunch. I guess I was overly curious."

"Curious?"

"Yes."

"You are different in a very refreshing way, Miss Roux. That is why I trust you enough to treat you to lunch."

"Your highness, you really don't have to do that. It's more than enough that you are driving me to lunch."

"Fair's fair, Miss Roux. I caused you to injure your hands on account of my absentminded decision to surprise you. You also did a splendid job at the ball. You deserve it."

"Thank you."

Please vote and comment below! Thanks for reading!

~Uilosris