Chapter 35: Group Date

"Hey, Zipporah!" Rita cheers and embraces me tightly. I hug back, "Are you excited or what?"

"I haven't done this in so long. I'm really looking forward to what we've planned." Quincy chuckles.

"Rita wouldn't stop jabbering about the excitement of it all."

"Oh!" Rita chides, smacking him playfully. I grin, looking up at Basil. He is smiling softly but I know something troubling is on his mind. There has been for a while, ever since the graduation party. That was a month ago. He's the same, just deep in thought and always asking deep questions.

"Are you ready?" I ask him. He nods eagerly, pecking my cheek.

"Natürlich, Zipporah!" We link arms.

"First we're going to visit Truelux Lotion Candles. Let's go."

"Is there a surprise?" Quincy probes. I giggle as they bicker a little, tightening my grip on Basil and leaning my head on his arm.

"So you and Rita planned this out?"

"Mm hm! I'm sure it'll be fun for all of us."

"Everything we've done has been amazing. I have no doubt we'll enjoy ourselves." He remarks, squeezing my hand. I beam at him. In no time we arrive at Truelux. We begin by smelling the sample candles. I want to linger a second at the Lavender scented one. It's my absolute favorite. But instead I simply waft the smell over and relish it before replacing the glass bell and trapping the fragrance inside.

Once we're done we gather again, "The goal is to determine your date's favorite scent. Whomever guesses right gets that candle and one of their choice. Quincy, you first then Rita." I explain. Quincy shrugs.

"Redwood?" He suggests. Rita chuckles and shakes her head.

"Then I think your's is Citrus."

"Nope." We all laugh and Basil hums.

"Lavender." My jaw falls to the floor.

"H-How?" He smiles charmingly.

"Very well, this couple wins," The manager chirps and hands us one lavender candle, "What will you have, young man?"

"Rose, please." I smile and once we've collected the other candle, we leave and head over to a studio and make a mosaic. Girls vs boys.

Rita and I win with a simple purple and blue tessellation of diamond tiles with yellow stars, points for neatness. Basil and Quincy do churn out a cute pixelated tree. These we give to Quincy and Rita, "I'm no good with this." Basil mourns. I tsk.

"I think you did wonderfully. Are you enjoying yourself?" We fall behind Rita and Quincy on our way to Sluy's Bakery for our treat.

"I am. I enjoy seeing you smile and laugh."

"I meant are you having fun?"

"Yes. This was an excellent idea, Zipporah. I'm glad you and Rita could plan this," I gaze at him skeptically, "What?"

"What's on your mind?" Basil exhales.

"I'm thinking about something your dad said."

"Basil, don't let it bother you. Come on, let's eat. We can talk when we get back."

"Alright then, Zipporah."

We pick up a myriad of confections and then split, saying goodnight. I munch on my cream cheese snail, wondering what Dad said.

It is a filler chapter but I felt this needed to be included. Please comment or PM me! Thanks!

~Uilosris