Chapter 38: Optimism {Felicie}

I wrap my quilts closer around and breathe as deeply as possible. My heart seems to deny my plea to slow, beating rapidly yet weakly inside my chest. It's been this way since Ziska came. Nothing has been calm, rather, it's been awkward and scary. The family is at war and the government is in an uproarious maelstrom. I'm glad that Basil and Zipporah are far away from it all. He has a score of big decisions that he needs to make and she needs to be foremost in his mind, "I'm sure Basil will choose wisely." I look over at Milan, resting beside me in bed. His fingers thumb through his book on political science but his eyes are on me. My shoulders roll and I lean back. 

"I can still worry." 

"Focus on your health. Basil will be put at ease." 

"Not with Ziska around," I condemn, my voice turning hollow, "She was the one who divorced you, and now she's wanting everything from lifelong financial aid to trivial privileges."  

"Because she was my first wife and bore five children she has the basic platform to demand such. The fact that she left me however is what makes her argument unstable. Her whole campaign is banked on Kunibert's ascension to the throne, which is why she views you and Basil as threats."

"Why did she leave you in the first place?" 

"She did not want to work for the reward. That's why she came back demanding all of these benefits, because it is the easy way to get what she wants. Ziska always took the shortcut or didn't go at all." Uncomfortable silence enshrouds us. I clear my throat. 

"I want to call Zipporah, but I don't want to fuel Yvonne after she accused me of 'conspiring with a slutty American peasant'." 

"The girls are very much Ziska's offspring, quick to insult but unable to defend themselves." 

"And... Wolfram and Kunibert?" Milan shuts the book. 

"Wolfram is liable to switch sides, like always. Right now his interests are protected by Ziska. Kunibert is our one ally." 

"What?!"

"He is a man of few words but Kunibert did tell me earlier that he is on our side." Another pause. My fingers trace the designs of the quilts. 

"I hope this ends soon so we can patch up our family. Basil's decisions will affect the situation, though."

"You're forgetting Zipporah. She has a role in this too." I smile a little, nodding. 

"Let's hope they figure things out for the best." 

"I know they will." I poke Milan in the ribs. 

"You're very optimistic. I'm usually the upbeat figure." 

"Then stop worrying, Felicie," We lean in for a kiss just as Milan's phone begins to ring. With a sigh he answers, "Basil? Why are you calling so late?" My eyes widen, "You have? And?" 

"Let me!" I plead and reach for the phone but he shifts away, listening to Basil intently. I groan. 

"I see. I'm very glad to know you've figured it all out-" I snatch the phone. 

"Basil, you have to tell me too." I chide a little playfully. He chuckles on the other end and Milan leans closer to hear without putting the call on speaker and alerting everyone else. 

"I have decided to be the official heir of Rask Industries and take over the conglomerate, in time. More importantly, I have decided to take the next steps with Zipporah."

"You mean..!?"

"I am going to confront her family, and propose to Zipporah." I beam, excited beyond words. 

"We're proud to know you've made up your mind. Does your grandfather know?" 

"Yes. He's been made aware and is my voluntary wing man." 

"I can't wait to hear more, Basil. Best of luck." I wish as Milan takes over. I smile brightly and clasp my hands together, suddenly more optimistic than before.

Please comment! It means a lot to every writer, just like votes do! Shout out to me_Tehreem

~Uilosris