Chapter 43: Pet Names {Basil}

"Yes, Basil? Have you proposed to Zipporah?"

"Yes, we're engaged now, Mom! She said yes!" She giggles on the other end.

"I'm very happy for you both! This is wonderful!"

"Her family gives their blessing too."

"Excellent, Basil! I'm very proud of you. I would love to talk longer but a court session regarding Ziska is about to convene." I sigh bitterly.

"And you have to attend?"

"Yes. Ziska is persistent about being a great obstruction. I have no choice either way, I'm the Queen after all. Basil, don't let this dampen these happy times. Don't worry about what is going on here. Zipporah is your fiancé and so you MUST devote yourself to her even more."

"Mom, promise me that you won't work yourself to death. You're already too ill and Ziska is going to prey on it."

"It will take more than her gossip to send me to my deathbed. I promise."

"Alright. I trust you to be in good health."

"And I shall, Basil. Auf Wiederhören!"

"Tschau," I hang up and text Grandfather to let him know. Zipporah comes up from behind and slithers her arm through mine, "Have your other relatives been notified?"

"Mom is still making calls. But everyone important is covered. What about yours?"

"Mom and Grandfather know. They'll tell everyone else." She exhales contentedly and leans against me.

"I'll definitely have to add today to my list of favorite days."

"Despite the rain?"

"Yes, despite the rainy aspect of it. I don't think of it as negative in any way that we got rained on. I think it made your proposal more romantic, in its own way," I reach for her hand and bring it to my lips. Remembering Isaac's earlier protest I chuckle to myself, "What?"

"I have been banned from calling you Zipper or calling Isaac Icy. I must devise a very unique pet name for you, if you would allow it."

"Pet names?"

"Yes. I think it might be interesting." I blush. I can't tell if she likes the idea or not. Her subsequent giggles, the rare, adorable ones that melt my defenseless heart, surprise me.

"I'd like that, but no 'dear'. That is off limits. Other than that, I am interested to see what pet names you come up with."

"Have you got any for me?" She nods.

"Yes. Just one, so far. I hope to use it once we're married. I think it'd be more special."

"And?"

"Bass (bayss)." A few seconds go by where I process it. I smile charmingly.

"I like that."

"I'm glad. I've mulled over it for some time." I sigh in contemplation.

"How would Edelweiss sound? For now, at least?" Her eyes sparkle.

"I love it, but it wouldn't be fair for just you to use it. Edelweiss is the symbol of loyalty, devotion, honor and profound love in German and Alpine culture."

"Alright then, it will be our secret nickname for each other. But I will still come up with some more pet names."

"Challenge accepted." We lean in and kiss.

Please vote and comment below! Thanks!

~Uilosris