Chapter Five: Surprises can Hurt

"I must go now, Miss Roux." Basil states, gently backing away from me and bowing. I curtsy in response.

"Of course, your highness." To be honest, I am very glad that my time with him is over. I felt extremely uncomfortable and guilty while I was dancing with him. I enjoyed it, but I did not feel good with so many eyes on me. The entire time my mind screamed scandal and pink slip, but he's a prince, so I really could not have refused.

"I expect to see you soon, Miss Roux."

"Likewise, Prince Basil." He smiles, nodding politely.

"Goodbye."

"Auf Wiedersehen." [Goodbye] I reply and we go our separate ways. I thread my way through the crowd and find Cirila packing up to leave. It is very late and we have an early morning tomorrow. "There you are, Cirila."

"I was wondering where you were, Zipporah. We have to get back home and rest." I nod, resisting the urge to yawn. "Come on."

"Yes, Cirila." We link arms to keep together as we pick our way outside to the car, where we automatically deflate in the comfortable seats. "That was fun, and tiresome."

"Yes. It was." She answers numbly, starting the engine and pulling out. Cirila is more tired than I am. I do not anticipate a fully awake start to our day tomorrow. The ride back to Amalia is silent and I manage to word a brief 'good night' before falling out of the vehicle and dragging myself to my unit, where I change as quickly as possible and tuck myself into bed.

Two Days Later

"If I were the report, where would I have been misplaced?" I murmur, searching through the windblown office I share with Steffi Geiger, Cirila, and Steffi's mentor Liesl. Steffi had a panic attack earlier and misplaced the report she was going to give me. I don't blame her, it's happened to me before. I sigh and move from the computer desk to her filing cabinets, my fingers sifting through as fast as my eyes can skim.

"Tschau." [Hey]

In surprise, I accidentally slam the file cabinet drawer onto my hands. I stifle a whimper and bite my tongue, steeling myself. I know I caught my digits and jammed them pretty bad. Knuckles will be worse. I stiffen, inhaling deeply to calm myself. "Hallo, was ist es?" [Hello, what is it?] I turn my head and pale when I see that it is Prince Basil. "Prince Basil... I..." He holds up his hand to stop my from speaking, a frown replacing whatever happy expression which had been there before.

"I did not mean to scare you, Miss Roux. Let me help you." He apologizes and walks into the office, striding across to my place beside the cabinet. I hide a blush as he gently removes my hands from the drawer and slides it closed. They're pretty badly bruised and swollen. No scratches, but the middle knuckle is the worst, "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine, your highness." I answer and stretch my fingers a bit. They protest in pain and I hiss. "I should have been more careful."

"No, it was not your fault. It was mine, Miss Roux. I am very sorry for this to have transpired." He apologizes, bowing. His voice is too sincere to dismiss.

"You are forgiven, Prince Basil. Really, it's nothing. I've had worse done." I admit and walk to my desk where I have a first aid kit in one of the drawers. I take it out and with sore, inflamed fingers try to open it. I wince and reattempt but he comes from behind and snatches it away.

"Allow me."

"Alright." I have nothing to do but relent. He opens it and in a few minutes, I've taken some pain medicine and cleaned and bandaged the wounds. After getting the cold compress made, I sit in my small office chair holding it to my hands wrapped in a towel. He sighs and leans back against the desk, running a hand through his shiny, thick black hair. "Prince Basil, what are you doing here? Have I done something wrong?"

"No, quite the opposite, I assure you. I am actually off on a lunch break and decided to find you. I was wondering if you would join me." I bite my lip.

"Why would you want to have lunch with me, your highness?"

"You are a very intriguing person, Miss Roux. I also need to make up for causing your injuries." I smile to myself.

"If you insist, your highness."

"And I do." Basil replies, his rich chocolate eyes sparkling. I take a closer look for but a moment. They seem to be glazed with honey gold. He's very handsome in and out.

"Very well."

"Well then, follow me, Miss Roux."

Thanks for reading!

~Uilosris