Chapter 42: Announcements {Basil}

It's a short drive back, our time spent fantasizing about the future and sharing multiple confessions of love. Just the two of us. Zipporah and me. In my mind's eye I can see the gigantic jigsaw puzzle of my life solving itself, another piece put in place. Granted, this piece didn't fit where I thought it would. Or hoped. My original plan to propose included fair weather. Though neither of us care, regardless of how soaked and windblown we are. I smile and stretch my hand out. Zipporah grips it tightly, "I feel like I've got a trillion lightning bugs in my stomach." She sighs. 

"Lightning bugs?" 

"Mm. I'm a mixture of nervous and ecstatic, but I feel like I'm glowing as well." I chuckle. 

"What an amazingly accurate description." 

"Thanks." I stroke my fingers over the ring, smiling. When I went to R.I. it was to select a ring. With generous input from her family and friends, of course, I chose the band. I don't think Zipporah will ever be simple. Everything about her is unique and thoroughly intriguing. True, she's out of her shell, but there's always something new I find. 

I snap back to the driving task and Zipporah releases my hand in compliance, "So, you call fireflies 'lightning bugs'?" 

"Yes. It made more sense because when we would go to visit my mom's parents in summer, the fireflies there are gigantic and intensely colored. I always loved hunting for them at twilight and dark." Her eyes momentarily glaze over and I smile. 

"It's cute when you have that look in your eyes, Zipporah. When you are deep in thought or remembrance." 

"You have a similar look, though I see it more often now. When you're focused and determined on something, there's a fire that lights up your eyes," She leans over and pecks a short kiss on my cheek. I blush, not for the first time today, and stroke her cheek for a moment in return, "Most recently when you told me that you're accepting Octavian's request and will take over the conglomerate. And when you proposed..." She fades off into comfortable silence as we pull into the driveway. I park and take her hand, kissing her fingers. 

"Are you ready to tell them, Zipporah?" 

"Definitely." She smiles reassuringly and I get out to open her door for her. We collect everything and walk inside. Mr Roux and Isaac are lounging in the living room as we enter. 

"What took the two of you so long?" Isaac prods. 

"The weather was a wee bit difficult, but..." Zipporah begins as Mrs Roux appears. 

"Oh goodness, what happened to you!" She clamors, "Go wash up and change, then we'll have dinner." 

"Yes, Mrs Roux." Zipporah and I drop off the stuff in the kitchen and go clean up. In half an hour we meet up in the hallway, ready to tell her family. 

"I'm a little nervous." 

"That makes two of us." We share a sweet kiss and join hands, walking into the dining room together. She squeezes my hand as we take our seats. Mrs Roux chirps up. 

"So, how did your date go?" 

"It was a lot of fun, despite the storm." I reply. Zipporah moves for us and brings our joined hands up onto the table, in a subtle way calling attention to the ring. 

"It was more than fun though." Isaac drops his fork, the first to comprehend. 

"Y-Y-You're e-engaged!" He remarks. Zipporah nods eagerly, smiling brightly. Mrs Roux beams and cheers. 

"I'm so happy for you two! I was hoping this would happen, you're so perfect for one another!" Zipporah has to surrender her ring hand to Mrs Roux so she can see it. I look across the table at Isaac who is frozen in some strange configuration of emotion. 

"But you'll- I'll- we won't... You'll move to the other side of the world and we won't see each other! You'll be a Princess and it'll be work work work!" I take a deep breath. If anything else Isaac has antagonized the fact that I'm a prince. 

"Isaac, I hope you will still give your blessing," This stops him in his rant and we lock eyes, "I love your sister very much, which is why I proposed to her." 

"I-I know that! Really, you're an equally matched pair and I-I am happy you're engaged. I just wish Eldstein wasn't s-so far away!" He sighs, decompressing, "You'd better p-protect and take care of Zipper better than anyone else because if you don't you'll have to deal w-with me!" 

"So we have your approval?" I smile. He nods. 

"Yeah. D-Don't be taking my nickname for her either and don't use I-Icy to call me." 

"I will simply call you Isaac then." Having straightened that out, Zipporah and I turn to Mr Roux. He's... crying? 

"Dad, are you alright?" Zipporah asks tenderly. Mrs Roux places her hand on her husband's shoulder. 

"David, come on..." Zipporah gets up and walks to her dad, enveloping him in a hug. He hugs her tightly and weeps for a minute more. 

"My little girl... is grown up." He sighs, collecting himself. Zipporah kisses his cheeks and then her mom's, returning to my side. 

"In this case... Basil?" 

"Yes, Mrs Roux?" 

"You may call us Mama and Papa from now on." I smile and nod. Zipporah grins, linking arms with me. 

"Of course." Dinner proceeds, full of excitement and talk about the wedding and family, divided up by girls and boys for the most part. Mrs Roux calls up everyone and Mr Roux contacts his own relatives afterwards. Zipporah and Isaac spread the news to their friends while I step aside to call my family back in Eldstein. 

Please comment and vote! Thanks! 

~Uilosris