Chapter 28: Introductions {Basil}

Now that the ordeal with Fritzi and her father is taken care of, I'm finally bringing Zipporah to meet the entire family. I am anxious about it, since I'm still the misfit and I don't know what to expect from Dad or my siblings. They did support me one hundred percent when I organized the hunt for Fritzi and Helmut but that could have been because of image. Not concern for me or Zipporah, "You're zoning out again, Basil."

"I'm a little worried." I answer. Zipporah chuckles.

"It'll be fine. It's nerve wracking for sure but we'll survive." I clench the wheel.

"I don't want them to do anything to you. I can't help but worry about how the others will behave around you." She places her hand on my shoulder and squeezes it reassuringly.

"Then don't worry about them and their behavior. You told me that you did not care what they thought, that you didn't care about what they might do. You told me you would give up royal life. Now, you suddenly care."

"Because I... what you said over the phone when we got back together,.. I've been thinking about it lately. It got to me," I explain, "When Fritzi assaulted you and disappeared, I was sure that I would be alone in finding and bringing her to justice. I thought that my family would brush it off and be my biggest impediment to helping you recover and protecting you. When they rallied behind me, something just... clicked."

"I'm glad," Zipporah remarks and leans over, kissing my cheek, "Still, I want you to concentrate on your behavior. Don't get so wrapped up in worrying about your family that you get overwhelmed. Be yourself with me."

"If you say so," I consent as we pull through the Palace gates and drive into the garage. I take a few deep breaths, mimicking Zipporah, before getting out and getting her door. I give her a light peck once she's out, admiring her outfit. She is wearing black slacks, a dark red dress shirt, a black blazer, dressy black flats and simple, tiny white pearl studs. Her hair is done up in a fancy french bun with one circlet on each side hanging down to frame her face, "You look lovely."

"You've said that three times, Basil." She blushes. I chuckle.

"Because you deserve to hear it, and more. Come on, then." I offer her my arm and she loops hers through, joining hands with mine. I can tell from the way she holds my hand that she feels as nervous as I do. I grip her hand tightly and we enter the Palace. Zipporah stiffens when she sees the guards, even more so when she sees all of the palace employees- mostly the maids- who are bustling about stop and bow or curtsy to the both of us.

"This is so weird." She whispers. I lift her hand and kiss it, leaning over a little.

"Focus on me, not them, for tonight."

"I'll try." She comments and I shake my head in amusement. At long last we reach the main parlor. I steel myself and fix my suit before opening the doors. As expected, everyone has gathered. Dad, Mom, my siblings and their spouses, and Grandfather.

"Wilkommen, Fräulein Zipporah Roux." Dad greets. Zipporah curtsies immediately. She begged me to help her curtsy correctly and I am proud that she is now executing them flawlessly.

"König Milan. [King Milan]" She replies. Dad motions for her to rise and then Mom rushes over, Dad following. Mom and Zipporah exchange kisses on the cheek and a small hug before Mom embraces me with a bright grin. Dad steps up to Zipporah, his eyes inspecting her. Dad extends his hand and they shake.

"You have a sturdy handshake, Fräulein."

"Thank you very much, your majesty." I stare at Dad, surprised and thankful at the same time. His dark eyes linger on her a moment more as Kunibert and his wife Silke stand and walk over. From there, my other siblings and their spouses follow. Their introductions are polite in a cold way, not to my surprise. Grandfather finally introduces himself and then we retire to the dining room for dinner.

"At least they're civil." I whisper in Zipporah's ear. She nods in agreement, her eyes lit with anxiety.

Please vote and comment! It means a lot to writers! Thanks!

~Uilosris