Chapter Two: Settling In

"Are you Zipporah Roux, miss?" Asks a woman in her thirties. She speaks with a very thick german accent, pronouncing the Z as a strong S and emphasizing consonants. I almost beg her to keep speaking in it.

"Yes, I am." She grins and extends her hand. We shake.

"I am Cirila Falkenrath. It is very nice to meet you, Zipporah."

"Likewise, Cirila."

"I am going to drive you to one of the residences owned by Rask Industries. You'll have a modest condominium. I am going to be your mentor before I'm transferred to another department, but I'm very excited. Come along."

"Yes, Cirila." I reply and she grabs one of my suitcases, rolling it behind her. I skip a bit to keep pace with her.

"How well do you know German, Zipporah?"

"I took German from sixth grade up and studied in an immersion class."

"While Eldsteiners speak German, you have probably noticed that we have different dialects incorporating other languages and we do have an increasing number of immigrants from other countries. Yet everyone is required to learn British English, so you should have little problem communicating."

"I believe in immersing oneself. I learn quickly."

"An admirable trait," Cirila smiles proudly as we enter the parking garage. I expect there to be a bus or a plain, cheap car waiting for us. My jaw hits the ground when I see Cirila approach a well kept ice blue Mercedes-Benz instead, "Are you alright, Zipporah?"

"I am not accustomed to seeing a Mercedes-Benz."

"Another adjustment then. Come on." We load my things into the trunk and back seat and Cirila skillfully maneuvers us out of the garage and away from the Airport. Despite the jet lag I am pressed against the window, taking in Eldstein as we drive by. I am fully awake and perked up just to be in a foreign country, not including Canada (if that counts). It takes only fifteen minutes to pull into a gated four story parking garage connected to a rather modern condo complex.

"Is this only for Rask Industries employees?"

"Yes. It is a closed community for employees and their families, though since you are single you have a small unit. This particular campus is called Amalia Suites, and is where the junior employees and interns are housed. There is a courtesy bus and private corporate vehicles to use once you get an approved license, etcetera."

"I see." She pulls into a guest space and helps me unload my things before leading me across an enclosed corridor into the main residential building. Amalia Suites is more elegant on the inside than its modern exterior, and the degree of immaculate cleanliness is stunning. We walk into the main office and pick up my room keys and package, then Cirila escorts me to my ground floor unit. I step in.

It is hardwood floor with mostly neutral theme, cozy, and has a small kitchenette and is already furnished. I smile and inhale, eyeing the bed. Cirila shakes her head at me then we shake hands. "I plan to see you bright and early at work tomorrow, Zipporah."

"Yes, Cirila."

"Rest well. Goodbye."

"Goodbye." I show her out and once she's gone I exhale, exhaustion overcoming me. I groggily put my clothes away and change into my pajamas before climbing into the cushy bed. Honestly, I prefer firm mattresses, but this is very nice after plane seats for hours. I manage to send a short message to my family and a couple of friends en masse, then my eyes shut and doze off.

If only I could sleep soundly. I toss and turn, excitement keeping me awake for most of the night until I put on Pink Noise to coax my body into slumber. I need to be rested and prepared. First impressions are extremely important, after all.

Just some background, Eldstein is a fictional german-speaking country that was once a colony in Eurasia, occupying a micro- or subcontinent. It is not overly large but is not tiny, and in this story it is entering the global market and beginning to compete with other powers. It is also a constitutional monarchy, similar to the UK.

Thanks for reading! Please comment and vote below!

~Uilosris