Chapter 29: Dinner Disaster {Basil}

"So, Zipporah, how exactly did you come to be here?" Kunibert inquires, his eyes not leaving his salad.

"I had not planned on coming here to Eldstein, your highness. I am very glad that I was selected, though. Eldstein is a wonderful country and I enjoy my work here." Zipporah clarifies. She's eaten very little because of the ongoing interrogation.

"You have family and friends in America, correct?" Susi probes. Her voice imitates that of a threatened adder. Mom begins to intervene but I step in.

"Yes, she does. The very reasons she came so far." Mom and I exchange relieved smiles as Susi retreats. Zipporah casts me a grateful glance while nodding appreciatively.

"Yes, I have heard only the best about her. She is a prized asset. Few display the sterling work ethic and determination that Zipporah does. To know she does this not only for herself but for her loved ones makes it all the grander." Grandfather boasts. I smile at him and the twinkle in his eye speaks volumes. He supports us. It makes things a little less complicated since he is an infallible adversary if you make enemies with him. 

"Dankeschön. [Thank you very much]"  Zipporah answers nervously while taking a precarious sip of her sparkling water. 

Mom speaks up, "Tell us about your family, Zipporah. You have one younger brother, correct?" 

"Yes. Isaac is going to be finishing his final year of high school in June." 

"What about your parents?" 

"My mom and dad are still working on getting back on their feet. My mom is doing remarkably well, but my dad suffered more major injuries and recovery has been very slow. It's very inspiring how they keep fighting through their trials. I am happy to help provide for them." My lips twitch upwards in response. She's touched nearly everyone. 

"Perhaps they're trying to dump all of their burdens on you. You're the kind of person who would freely help others, thus leaving you vulnerable to being taken advantage of. Perhaps because you're the girl and they wanted you out of their hair," A chill descends. Everyone looks at Yvonne and her husband. I clench my fists, ready to lash back, "A dreaming workaholic. Tch. You're too independent and caring." 

"Yvonne-!" Mom and Dad begin to chide. Yvonne continues though, aiming a pointed scowl at Zipporah. 

"How can we expect her to submit? How do we know she won't abandon everything for sentimental missions?" 

"Zipporah is probably a money sucker to her family and enjoys the spotlight. Why else has she gone along with Basil this whole time?" Verena adds. I look over at Zipporah. Her face is devoid of all emotion, but my sisters seem to feed off of it, "She displaced Fritzi and has proved how clever she is." 

"Silence!" Dad protests. I place my hands on the table and slowly rise, glaring my three half sisters down. 

"You're jealous." I accuse. 

"Of what? Her?" 

"No. Me. Admit it!" The room takes a sharp breath. 

"No way! How could we be jealous of you when you brought in that pauper?" Susi retorts, "You only feel sympathy for her, which is undeserved, because of these stories about her ailing family. She could be cheating behind your back and keeping every last cent of her earnings for herself. It wouldn't surprise me if her family made her apply just to get rid of her. She's quite an annoyance." I raise my fist, about to let it smack the table. In an instant Susi is effectively doused in sparkling water. I turn and stare in disbelief at Zipporah who is now on her feet clutching her now empty glass. She tossed water on Susi!