Chapter Seven: Friendship

I bite my lip and attempt to flex my fingers, holding in a grimace when pain erupts again. No matter how I try to relieve the soreness, it does not go unnoticed by his highness, who has been strangely generous. I do want to trust him but I do not want to be hurt because of naivete and being caught up in the moment. He is exceptionally considerate and sweet, and he has exceptional manners which I have not seen very much outside of my family and a few close friends. I have not had such a relaxing lunch in weeks. It felt very natural with him there, and I loved where we went. It was adorable and the food was delectable. I forgot my burdens for a while.

Only now, we're racing the clock to get back before I am considered late. I don't want to be in trouble, but I do not want Basil to get in trouble either, so I am likely a nervous wreck to him at the moment. I can't help it.

"Instead of forcing your fingers, I would rest them, Miss Roux."

"They will lock up and become even more unbearable if they remain idle, Prince Basil."

"Then exercise them more gently. Your hands might turn an irreparable shade of purple and black if you continue straining them."

"Why are you concerned?" I inquire, leaning forward in the seat. He chuckles.

"I feel it my duty to make sure maidens such as yourself do not cause further harm where I have already injured them."

"You didn't hurt me."

"In a way I did, and I am still upset with myself for it."

"Why?" He sighs.

"You ask many questions, Miss Roux."

"I am curious."

"How about I simply call you Zipporah, Miss Roux, and you call me Basil." He blurts out. I blush.

"If you say so,.. Basil."

"That is much better. Now, I am still upset with myself because I know that had I had the mind to think before I frightened you, you would not be nursing your hands. I was raised to prevent such occurrences, Zipporah." My spine tingles, a chill running the length as he speaks my name. The accent will surely kill me.

"You still owe me nothing. It is now me whom owes you, so I must ask how to repay your generosity." He smiles slyly and I gulp.

"Zipporah, I had a lot of fun with you. I would feel repaid if you and I were to become friends."

"Deal."

He flashes me a breathtaking smile and if I had been standing, my legs might have buckled and I would have fainted. I press my hands to my cheeks to try and cool them down. He chuckles. "You're cute when you're flustered, Zipporah."

Why does he have to say my name like that!?

Yes, it's short, but since summer's in I hope to update more and get more readers! Please comment and vote, and suggestions are always welcome! Thanks for the support!

~Uilosris