10 | Hiding the pain

Ross' POV

Jessie stood right before us, tears swelling in her eyes. A few other people were behind her with the same shocked facial expression.

"Jessie, it's not what you thi-" before Paisley could finish her sentence, Jessie was gone.

"Help me catch up to her!" she yelled at me.

"No! Who cares how she's feeling! She's a revenge crazed maniac, she doesn't deserve your apology!" I spit back. The last thing I need, is for them to become friends again!

"Ugh! Fine, I'll push myself!" she yelled strolling her way through the now, crowd of people. I glared at them and in a flash, the all scattered.  I can't believe this is fucking happening to me! By the time it's 5th period everyone in the school will know!

People will think I did it out of pity, how am I gonna cover this?

Paisley's POV

I can't believe Ross just did that!!! He kissed me, then wouldn't even push me to find Jessie!? I will admit, there was something different about this kiss... I have only kissed one other person before (not including that girl at the party, Ugh!) and it didn't feel like this. It was beyond "sparks fly", it was..it was like a star exploding in the vast galaxy! It's probably because he's had a lot if practice... I shouldn't think too far a head.

I can't find Jessie anywhere!  I can't even imagine what she's thinking of me right now... I was just telling Ross that he is making my life worse every second I'm with him, and he kisses me and makes it even worse!!

……………………………………………

The ending bell just rang and I haven't talked to Ross since the kiss. Bruce kept asking me questions like, why did you kiss him?, what did he say to you?, etc.. I just want to talk to Jessie.

I was rolling through the hall, then I saw her. Jessie! I quickly turned into the empty classroom I saw her in.

"Wait Jessie, before you run just hear me out!!" I yelled out to her, she stopped at the door and turned around.

"What do you have to say to me? You know what he did to me. Why would you kiss him? Why would you do this behind my back? You were playing me this whole time weren't you?! This whole time you were just trying to get close to him weren't you!!?" she yelled narrowing her eyes at me. She getting all the wrong ideas!!

"No, it's not what you think! He kissed me!"

"That's what they all say! And I saw you kissing him back, so don't even think of lying to me!!"

"Look, I was telling him that I'm never going to talk or hang out with him ever again and he just cut me off and kissed me!! I don't know why I kissed him back, I just kind of lost control of my thoughts..."

"is this true?" she said looking behind me. I turn around confused, Ross was standing behind me.

"Yes.. it's true. I kissed her, and that's what I wanted to talk time Paisley about. May I?" he said gesturing towards me. Jessie glared at him, but nodded and walked out of the room.

"What the Hell, Ross! I was kind of talking to her!! Why do you keep ruining everything!?!" I'm so sick of him right know!

"Oh shut up. Just admit it, you felt something when we kissed. Didn't you?" did he seriously just tell me to 'shut up?!'

"I don't know, I might have, but right now any feeling I had for you is gone."

"Ok... you know what? I don't know if you felt anything or not, but you're just gonna have to pretend you didn't feel anything. Last thing I need is for people thinking I have feelings for..you." unbelievable!!!

"Fine, because I never want to see you again!!" I can't believe that jerk actually kissed me!! For a second I actually thought he was going to tell me he felt the same way I felt when we kissed, but instead, he tells me to lie to help his reputation!!!  What made me think he was different!?

"I don't want to loose you as a friend-" he started

"Well you just did." I stormed out of the room grabbing Jessie, who was right outside the door.

"Can you come home with me? So we can talk some more?" I asked her.

"Ok." she said walking with me to my car.

………………………………………………

Jessie finally heard my side of the story, I finally heard hers. Sometimes you just really need to hear to truth. There is a football game tonight, so Jessie and I decided to go. I love football, and I think it would be better to get out more than hide from society.

We got to the football game right when it started. I cheered Bruce on, he's the quarterback for the school. This guy next to us was being suck a jerk!

Every time we fumbled or did a bad tackle he would scream, "You guys suck! I've seen 5 year old play better than you!!" or something like that...  Why is he even here!? Ugh, the nerve of this guy..

We were down by seven and the guy was as red as a tomato with anger. Jessie and I jokingly nicknamed him 'Tinkerbell' because he got so red when angery! The other team got another touchdown and the game ended. Tinkerbell threw down his hat in anger and stomped off into the parking lot. He must really love football..

The team looked devastated, but not Bruce. He looked terrified. Almost like he was going to cry. It's just the second game of the season, he shouldn't be so down... I rolled up to him after he got dressed and was walking in the dark parking lot.

"Bruce, Hey! Um.. sorry you guys lost..better luck next time?" I said to him, he continued walking, not looking at me.

"You don't understand.." he said

"Don't understand what? It's just football, you'll win another-"

"No! It's not just football! You..you don't understand.." He still hasn't turned to look at me and it's hard keeping up with him in a wheelchair.

"Bruce, turn around. What wro- " He quickly spun around and slapped me across the face. Oh my God... I felt a tear go down my already bruised cheek.

He stumbled backwards as Jessie ran up to me, "I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!" he cried and took off running.

"Are you OK!? I saw him slap you!! I can't believe he hit you! What has gotten into him?!" she said looking dead into my eyes. I just nodded, still in shock. He told me he would never hurt a girl...

Bruce's POV

I can't believe I hit her!! Paisley! I swore to myself I would never hurt a girl ever again and broke my promise!! As I got in my car, my dad just glared at me. Then I remembered that we lost, I'm gonna get it when I get home!

The second we got home, he said to me in a monotone voice, "You know what happened today?"

"W-we lost.." I said looking at the ground.

"No! You lost! You're the quarterback, if they loose, it's because of you!!" he screamed getting closer to me. My dad was the quarterback of Ocean View when he was in high school and they won every single game. I'm other words, he takes football VERY seriously!

"Is that who I raised? A LOSER!?" he continued, slapping me across the face, making me think of how I slapped Paisley..

"NO. YOU RAISED ME A MONSTER, JUST LIKE YOU!!!" I yelled back, I've never stood up to him before. I tried to make a run for the door but he grabbed my arm.

"And were do you think you going!?" he screamed with his grip getting tighter.

"Let go of me!!" I screamed pulling as hard as I could, tears streaming down my face. I don't normally cry, but when I'm with my dad, it seems to bring out that side of me.

I finally broke free from his powerful grip and headed to the front door.

"IF YOU WALK OUT THAT DOOR, YOU ARE NOT MY SON!" his voice boomed through the entire house, making me abruptly stop at the door.

"Good." I said under my breath and ran out the door. I heard a loud crash noise come from my house as I ran down my street.  I can never come back... There's only one person I can go to right now. Ross.