Chapter 36 - Crash

We had spent Christmas morning with mom and Charlie in Forks, Collin, Leah and Embry, Bella and Edward and Nessie and Seth were there too, it had been perfect. Harry was defiantly spoiled by mom he had toys galore he was growing up so fast he would be starting school in eight months' time and I don't know if I was prepared for my baby boy to go to school. We were spending the evening pack at mine and Paul's place with the rest of the pack but for the rest of the day everyone was spending it with their families.

Paul had decided to spend the day with me and Harry rather than Sam, Emily, Alison and Joshua simply for Harry, Paul was a second dad to Harry, he always would be even if me and Paul didn't end up working out, at times I felt like we wouldn't work out we were extremely alike especially when it came to fighting we were both stubborn hot heads, it wouldn't take much to get one another riled up thankfully Paul was able to control when he phased no matter how angry he got around me but we always made up the same day and the make-up sex was always the best. I looked around the room, Edward was smirking obviously reading what I was thinking as he sat with Bella who was talking to Charlie and my mom, Seth was sat cuddling with Ness watching whatever was on the television, Embry and Leah were talking to each other on the sofa whilst Paul played with Harry and his new toys. It was wonderful for us all to be together and too see everyone's smiling faces, these are the moments we cherish the most, "mommy come and play" Harry shouted from the floor, I smiled making my way over to Paul and Harry they were playing with cars.

"we best be off mom, the pack is due round soon" I said as I grabbed my coat, "it was lovely having you all here we should have family weekends more often" she said putting Harry's coat on for him, me and Bella just nodded, I made my way round everyone hugging them goodbye before we got in the car, Paul was driving, me in the passenger seat and then Harry in his seat behind me, Leah, Embry, Seth and Nessie were all following in the car behind. As we pulled out the driveway we all waved goodbye to Mom and Charlie as they stood at the door waving us all off. We had almost made it back to La Push, we would be at the reservation edge as soon as we could get through the lights which were on red, the minute they were on green Paul started to drive seeing as he could go, I thought I saw a car coming towards my side but they couldn't be their lights were on red so I looked again, I barely had time to scream at the top of lungs before the car plowed into my side, the airbags knocking me back wards whilst the impact from the car had me turning side wards as the car flipped over and over again disorientating me, I was drifting in and out of consciousness the smell of coolant, burnt chemicals and gasoline filling the air, my ears were ringing before the silence took over. The pain I was in left me unable to move, I couldn't look at Paul or Harry, the last thing I remember was the taste of blood in my mouth before the darkness took over me.

Jacob POV

We had all just arrived at the hospital we had got a call off a very shaken Embry telling us what had happened, nobody knew what was going on but we knew it was serious from what Embry had said when they were pulled out the car. I was worried about my little boy and my best friends, they didn't deserve this, everyone was happy but someone had to ruin it but running a red light. Dr. Cullen walked in, we were finally going to find what was going on, "Paul is doing fine he will be out in a minute however Mia and Harry haven't been so lucky, Harry is in intensive care you will be able to go and see him shortly but Mia is in surgery she has quite a lot of internal bleeding" Dr. Cullen said before he took Sue into another room to talk more about the extent to Mia's injuries, as I looked around the room I saw everyone crying, including Sam, I was in shock I wanted to go and see my son he had to pull through this. "Babe, do you want to go see Harry, Dr. Cullen said we can" Jade said in a soft voice beside me, we had left the girls with her mom as a hospital wasn't a place I wanted them to be, having my son here was enough. I was thankful she was here she was keeping me calm, we approached his room there were tubes protruding from his body and bandages everywhere, it made me think of when he was first born, I collapsed at the side of his bed in floods of tears he looked so fragile I wanted to take it all away from him and for that to be me not him. "he's a fighter Jake, he's like you, he will pull through this" Jade said rubbing my back trying to reassure me, as much as I wanted it to be true there was something inside that told me it wasn't he looked too fragile to fight, whoever did this to him would pay.

Embry POV

We were all in shock, me, Leah, Seth and Nessie had witnessed the whole thing happen, when they pulled Mia and Harry out it didn't look good, I had pulled Leah into me so she didn't have to watch her sister and nephew's lifeless bodies being pulled from the wreckage. It would have been so much better if that was our car, we could have survived that a lot more, our bodies were made for withholding huge amounts of force. Leah was in bits, she had already lost too many people in her life, all I could do was support her through this right now I could feel her pain. "where are they?" Paul panicked as he ran into the waiting room we were all in, "Paul sit down" Sam said his old alpha tone coming through, Paul sat wanting to know everything as soon as possible, "Mia is in surgery she has a lot of internal bleeding Paul, her heart stopped already but they got it going again, she's extremely weak. Harry is in intensive care, Jacob is with him, he has a lot of broken bones and bruising" Sam said attempting to comfort his brother, "when can I see her?" Paul asked, "she's not out of surgery, do you want to come and see Harry with me Paul, Seth and Jacob are with him?" Leah said speaking for the first time since the accident, he simply nodded, I let them go together I knew Leah needed some space so I let her go.

Leah POV
"I'm so sorry Jacob, I didn't mean it I should of gone faster, then they wouldn't of hit us, I'm so sorry" Paul said the moment he saw Jake, Paul collapsed in a heap crying he was so vulnerable, he really cared about my sister and nephew, "Paul, it's not your fault, I'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the driver who crashed into you, it's his fault not yours, but c'mon Paul we need to be strong for them both" Jacob said to Paul, I was surprised how calm Jake was but he was right as much as we were all worried and hurting we needed to be strong for Mia and Harry because who knew what would happen.

. .

Days had passed, we were now the 30th December, five days since the accident, Mia's heart had stopped a further two times, once in surgery and once in intensive care, thankfully they had managed to get it going again, she has bandages covering the full length of her body she looked fragile as if she would break at any minute, they had allowed Mia and Harry to be in the same unit as Carlisle had pulled some strings. Harry was still no better either but he hadn't got any worse which I suppose was a good thing, I just wish they would both wake up, Paul had not left the hospital once he was starting to smell but he wouldn't leave her. "Paul, you need to leave her side I know you don't want to but you need to shower, you don't want her waking up to you smelling do you" Mom tried to reason with him but he wouldn't have any of it, he was hardly eating or sleeping which was totally out of character for Paul. I never realized he cared this much for my sister, "Paul, if you don't come for a shower now I will drag your ass there" Sam said sternly to Paul which really ticked Paul off "how would you like it Sam if your imprint was lying there helpless, all because you didn't drive fast enough, it's my fault she's there, she's my world Sam and I never got to tell her I wouldn't imprint because I imprinted on her the moment I turned into a wolf," Paul started shouting before he starting crying, he was a broken man but wait did he say he had imprinted on Mia?! "Paul, wait, did you say you imprinted on my sister?" I asked I was so confused, I didn't know if I was hearing things because of the lack of sleep and the constant worry for my family, "yeah I imprinted on her, the day after I phased, the day I told her I couldn't be near her, I never told anyone I always hid it because I didn't want her being dragged into this world, I didn't want her to feel like she had to love me just because our ancestors say we are perfect for each other, I wanted her to have the choice. So I fought it, nobody knew" he whimpered holding her hand, "Paul, you need to tell her when she wakes up but don't you want to look like yourself when she wakes, you need a shower, you can even have one here so then you don't need to leave her for so long" I spoke softly placing a hand on his shoulder, he simply nodded before following me to the showers.