You Were R...

Rose

Dude! You were r
-Sam
4:00

I look at my phone in confusion before shaking my head annoyed. Sam was being weird again. I begin to type a response but Nathalie walks into the living room which distracts me. She was wearing a pair of basic jeans and one of my shirts with my beanie. She always looked cute in my things. "Who are you texting?" She ask curiously. I lock my phone before tossing it on the couch. "Sam. She's being weird again." I answer.

She look at me oddly but choose to not say anything. I know sometimes she think I am lying. But, I don't blame her because....why should she. However, I can see she's trying to trust me again and I'm making it difficult. My paranoia hasn't been helping at all either and I knew soon Nathalie would call me out on my shit. Nathalie breathe and take a seat next to me and ask calmly, "You've been acting weird lately, Rose. Talk to me."

I run my fingers through my hair. Nathalie chews on her bottom lip and watches me as she waits patiently. I wanted to tell her about Paul but I wanted to be for sure. Sam was already pissed at me for even considering he was a stalker.

Nathalie sigh and she looked disappointed. "My therapist told me I need to start being patient and all this stress is not good for my health." She then stand and grab her bag and keys off the table. I look at her in shock. "So, when you're ready to talk just call me and I will come."

"Nathalie." I call. "Don't go. I'm just a little paranoid okay and with my frequent panic attacks it's killing me."

Nathalie looks at me in worry. "Talk to me."

Before I could answer someone is knocking on the door. Nathalie roll her eyes annoyed and I hurry to the door to answer it. I look at the woman in confusion. She was standing in blue jeans and a blouse and her hair was pulled up in a sloppy bun and she looked really tired as if she has been up all night. "Uh. How can I help you?"

"Hello. I'm Ballie." She starts. "I'm so sorry to bother you... you're Rose correct?"

"Uh. Why? Who is asking?" I look out behind her my paranoia getting to me and my anxiety kicking in.

"I'm Paul mother." She explains. "And I can't get in touch with him. I came here because he said this is where his girlfriend lives."

"Wait what?" I say confused.

She doesn't answer me. She storms in my home calling for her son. Nathalie look at her weirdly from the couch and I grab Ballie shoulder and turn her around to face me. "Paul isn't here."

Out of nowhere Ballie breaks down. "You have to know where he is. It's been weeks and that's not like him. Call him. We had a fight but you're his girlfriend. He will answer for you."

Nathalie look at me for answers that I don't have.

"I'm not Paul girlfriend." I stress to her.

"You two broke up?"

"We never got together." I explain. "Ballie. Paul and I have never been in a romantic relationship. This is Nathalie...my girlfriend. Do you understand?"

Nathalie waves awkwardly and Ballie covers her mouth in shock before grabbing her cell phone and calling someone. "He is not here." She screams in the phone before hanging up. She then look at me seriously and say, "We need to find Paul."

{}{}

I give Ballie some water as she sit on my couch. She looked nervous as she wiggle her fingers and wipe her face of wet tears. I hand her some tissue and Nathalie rub her back. "Ballie. I'm sorry but Paul and I are only friends. I'm not sure what's going on. He could possibly be on campus...exams is coming up. That's probably why he hasn't called."