What A Surprise!

Chapter 20

Sam

"You two know each other?" Rose and I blurt at the same time. My gaze darts back and forth between Joy and Miranda. Joy awkwardly smiles before running her fingers through the twins hair. I look to Miranda for answers but she seem to be in her own world. 

"Well, what a surprise." Joy laughs.

"Well?" Rose push. "You know Miranda Grayson and never once thought to tell me?"

Joy blushes and look away. "Uh...it's not an important story."

"Really?" Rose frown.

I could tell that Joy was becoming uncomfortable but honestly I really wanted to know what was the big secret also. It was odd that she didn't voice that she knew Miranda Grayson personally. Rose shift on her feet and say, "Is it really that deep?"

"Oh for the love of God." Miranda tosses the magazine on the coffee table. "Joy and I were lovers."

"Miranda!" Joy screams trying her best to cover up the kids ear. Miranda settles with rolling her eyes. My mouth fall open and I generally feel hurt. I look at Miranda and bite down on my lower lip nervously. Why didn't she tell me? Miranda looks to me with confusion and I chuckle before backing away. 

"I have to say." I laugh. "I didn't see that coming."

"Sam." Miranda calls my name in that way where she doesn't want me to run off. Her voice is almost desperate but it is stern. Her lips are purse in aggravation. Nathalie sigh and shake her head while looking to her mother with a really expression. Rose cringe and she generally feels sorry for pushing the subject.

"I'm sorry for all of this." Joy cuts in not noticing what is really going on around her. "But...uh. I had to work over time and the babysitter agreed to pick them up." She explains while scowling. "But, we will be out of your hair. Come on sweets."

"But mom." Delilah whines. "They're having apple pie tonight can we please stay for dinner?"

"No baby." Joy chuckles nervously patting down on Delilah head. "Now come on."

"It's perfectly fine." Miranda say. "You and the twins are welcomed to stay for dinner."

Nathalie gasp and I have to give myself credit for not displaying any emotions but I was pissed. I roll my eyes and mutter. "I'm going to shower." Joy looks to me oddly but Rose grabs her intention by tapping her shoulder. I hurry down the hallway and quickly jump into the shower.

The hot water cascade down my back and I scrub myself with the expensive soap Miranda purchased a few days ago. It smelled wonderful and apparently it was good for my skin. I didn't care but Miranda did. I pause and look around and notice all the things in my bathroom that screamed Miranda. Even when I wanted space from her I really couldn't have it.

I shut off the water and wrap a towel around me. When I walk out the bathroom there is Miranda sitting on the bed looking graceful as ever. I groan and roll my eyes. I turn away from her and pull at the dresser trying to find something to wear for tonight. I settle for simple blue panties and a bra. 

"What is your problem?" Miranda finally speaks. Her voice is controlled but stern like she wants answers now. I slam the dresser and Miranda hiss, "Sam?"

"What?" I shout.

Miranda eyes widen for a second before she purse her lips in anger. I swallow and sigh, running my fingers through my damp hair. Miranda coffee brown eyes pierced through me like daggers. I scoff. God, she could literally turn anything around on me.