True Colors

Chapter 26

Rose

I press down on the grilled cheese with the spatula while listening to Nathalie rant about her mom. She's sitting on the kitchen counter with one of my shirts and panties and a pair of my long socks. I watch as she swings her leg back and forth like a child. I pass her the grill cheese and she bite into it. She chews her hazel eyes bright. Once she swallows she say, "I'm pretty sure my mom wants kids with, Sam."

My eyes widen. "What!"

Nathalie nod her head rapidly. She continues to bite into the cheesy sandwich. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know Miranda would even want more kids. I look at Nathalie and ask, "How do you feel—about Sam knocking up your mom?" I ask furrowing my eyebrows for being blunt so quickly.

Nathalie shrug her shoulders, "I feel like I should be upset because they are keeping it from me. I hate secrets." She pouts. "But, I know it's a touchy subject but I keep catching Sam looking at baby pictures—it's weird."

"This kid would be your little brother or sister, babe." I say. "You need to express your feelings before it's too late. If you don't want this I think your mom would respect your opinion."

Nathalie chews on her bottom lip and I could tell this was bothering her. I kiss the top of her thigh and pull her down off the top of the counter. We head to the couch and she lay her head in my lap while we watch Netflix. I run my fingers through her hair and she laughs at the silly show of Grace and Frankie. I roll my eyes at their kid's stupidity.

Nathalie rolls and face me. "How many siblings do you have?"

"I'm not sure?" I shrug. Nathalie frowns and I chuckle. "Babe, seriously there is no telling how many mini devils my dad has out there in the world."

Nathalie roll her eyes. "Well, that you know of—how many?"

"Lily and Delilah and my two brothers." I respond. "I only claim Lily and Delilah." I furrow my eyebrows. "I don't like to talk about my brothers."

"Okay."

"Why?" I push leaning down kissing her on the lips.

Nathalie ignores me and ask her next question. "What about your mom. She's been in town for weeks and you haven't went to see her."

"Because there is nothing to talk about!"

Nathalie lift up fully and lean back on the couch. "I just don't want you to have any regrets. You're bitter and your family plays a huge part in that. Forgiving your mom will help you."

"What the fuck are you trying to get at Nathalie?" I growl. "I don't need your fucking therapy."

"I'm trying to help. I understand okay—I sometimes think about how I would be if I didn't forgive Sam and my mom."

"It's not the same."

"Yes it is—" Nathalie pushes.

"It's not!" I hiss looking her straight in the eye so she can understand. "Your mom loves you and mine does not."

Nathalie swallows and there is a thick silence besides the background noise from the TV. "How are you so sure? Talk to her?"

"You don't know the things that woman has done." I scowl. Flashbacks goes through my head and I squeeze my fist before standing, "I'm done talking about it Nathalie."

{}{}

"She's pushing me!" I almost scream but hold back because I didn't want to wake the twins. After Nathalie left my home I hurried over here to Joy house because I didn't have anyone else to talk to. Joy puts the cookies into the oven and turn and say, "You should tell her the truth."