Battle of Hell

Chapter 17

Sam:

"Miranda." I call while struggling to put on this very expensive dress. It was ugly and shiny and itchy. Plus, I couldn't breathe. "Fuck this." I mutter while trying to pull the dress down my thighs. Miranda walk into the dressing room and purse her lips annoyed. I roll my eyes.

Miranda tap her lips and was that a growl? She shut her eyes for a second and ask, "What is the problem this time?"

I step out of the dress. "I can't breathe in that." I point to the annoying catastrophe item.

"Ok." Miranda pause. "What's the problem?"

I hiss annoyed running my fingers through my hair. "I'm not one of your models to prod and poke around. I'm sorry I'm not perfect and can't fit into these stupid dresses." I pull my jeans over my hips and grab my jacket. "I'm leaving."

"Sam. Stop being dramatic. Come back."

"No." I turn around. "I understand you want this dinner to be perfect but you've been acting bitchy for the entire week now. I don't like you like this. I need space. If I'm not perfect enough for your parents then I don't wanna go."

"You know how important this is for me?" Miranda hiss her eyebrows knitted together.

"Yeah. But, this has gone too far. You told Nathalie to get her hair colored and that she couldn't bring Rose or any of her other friends."

Miranda fold her arms across her chest. I sigh. She wanted to play the silent card. "Whatever Miranda." I zip up my jacket. "Here's some advice. If you want to win try not turning into your judgmental parents."

"Sam." She hiss. But I continue to walk away. Sometimes you had to treat her this way. Luckily, I met Miranda here and drove my own car. I don't look back. She was such a selfish asshole sometimes. I hurry back to my place and walk in to see Rose and Nathalie on the couch. I roll my eyes.

"How did shopping go?" Nathalie tries to move off of Rose lap but the other girl wasn't having that. She smirks and pull Nathalie back onto her lap. Nathalie blush and I wanted to comment on how they didn't have to hide anything. It's not like Miranda and I was. Well, unfortunately Miranda still didn't like Rose for some reason. "Rose." Nathalie shrieks.

I sit on the other couch and pick up the remote. "It didn't go well. She's being the Devil. She's going crazy over this damn dinner. It's not that deep. Making me try on all these different dresses. Why can I not just go in my jeans?"

Rose and Nathalie eye widen. "NO." They both say. They look at each other and then smile. I roll my eyes that the two new love birds. Rose look back at me. "Look I know how it feels to be the one talked about at the dinner table."

"I don't care." I roll my eyes.

"I didn't either." Rose shrug her shoulders. "But you're going to embarrassed Miranda when she is trying to impress her parents."

"She shouldn't have to try to impress them. They're family. They shouldn't care—

"It's not the same." Rose say. "You don't understand. Dinner like this isn't everyone talking about embarrassing baby stories and passing around the mash potatoes. It is war. And you have to win. You have to be ready for every question which is honestly an insult."

I look at the two confused.

"For example." Rose say. She straightens up her posture and sit elegantly on the couch. "Sam. How's your mother doing? I heard she was a hippy and running one of those marijuana factories. God, Miranda. I hope Nathalie doesn't get caught up in the drug cartel." Her voice drop low and I could tell she was trying to imitate an older version of Miranda. I gulp. She was good.