~7~ Oh Crap I Think I Like the Guy I Hate

Oh Crap... I Think I Like the Guy I Hate

Chapter 7

~Kevin's POV~

After David told us to get ready I walked over to my stuff on the benches and sat down and stared at Jasmine, who was laughing with her friends. I hoped that she didn't think badly of me, I know, I know, I haven't exactly been Mr Nice to her, more like the opposite, but I just wanted her to know that I really liked her. I've liked her since Year 8 and we're in Year 10 now, so that's a while. For some reason whenever I try to be nice to her I end up offending or upsetting her. Example, once she was watching a netball game replay and she started shouting at the team, and I walked passed and said, 'Jas, Jas, Jas, you do know that they can't hear you, I mean it's a replay right?' she wouldn't acknowledge my existence for a week.

'Ok boys huddle up.' I heard David shout and snapped out of my thoughts. 'So I know that this is a friendly game and that they are girls and it's mean to be mean to a girl.' He stopped coz some of the guys started laughing. 'I think most of you guys know that this is my last year in high school. So next year there will be a new captain and new players. So throughout the year I'll be looking for a good replacement, someone who can work with the others on his team and someone who plays fair and square. Also this person has to have a sense of leadership, as a lot of the team is made up of Year 12s. Me, Marcus, George, Peter, Steven, blah blah blah. So that's pretty much it.'

We walked onto the field and took our positions. On our team, Forwards; Me, David, Mid Fielders; Marcus, Paul and George, Full Backs; Nathan, William, Goalie; Todd and on the sidelines we had Frank and Aaron. The girls team, Forwards; Jasmine, -I gave a jolt when I looked at her- Kylie, Mid Fielders; Alison, Carly and a girl who I was pretty sure her name was Deborah, Full Backs; Jessica, -crap- and a unknown, Goalie; Kristen, I had heard many stories as to how great she was, on the sidelines they had Ricky and another unknown.

Mr Green (the soccer coach and umpire of the game) blew his whistle. We had decided to give the girls the ball first, Jasmine started with the ball and dribbled it past David and kicked it to Kylie, who dribbled it and kicked up to Jasmine who was up ahead, and the ball got intercepted by Marcus, who kicked it to George who kicked it to Me, I dribbled it down the field and saw David positioned near the goal post and kicked to him. He kicked the ball into the goal, but as true as the stories say, Kristen saved the ball and the girls cheered, then Kristen threw the ball to Kylie who directed it towards Alison, but it got intercepted it by Nathan and he kicked it to me and dribbled the ball to the goal and took a shot. Score! Somehow the ball had managed to escape the skills of Kristen. The score was 1-0 boys way. 5 minutes left.

'Time!' I heard David shout.

Then Mr. Green blew the whistle and we walked off the field. I walked towards David who was having a huddle with the boys.

'Ok, change of plans, I want Kevin to play goalie and.' He waved over to Aaron. 'Aaron, I want you to play forward, Todd take a break.'

'Um, Dave, are you sure? I don't normally play goalie and come to think of it I don't think I've ever played goalie.' I said worriedly.

'Kevin, I have absolute faith in you, I saw you during training before, you saved most of Jasmine's shots and lemme tell you something, I know my sister shoots hard and accurate. Ok everyone we're ahead by one point so we can't let them score, otherwise we have to score as well and as you probably noticed before the girls aren't that easy, it took us 5 minutes to score.'

~Jasmine's POV~

I headed over towards Kylie with the rest of the team.

'Well done everyone, nice save Kristen.' Kylie encouraged us. 'Ok, its looks like David just put Aaron on and took Todd off, which means that they changed their goalie, coz I happen to know that Aaron couldn't goal keep if his life depended on it.' We laughed. 'Remember I want you guys to listen and watch each other and don't hog the ball give everyone a go.'

We walked back onto the field and took our positions, I scanned the other team, it looked like Aaron was playing forward and Kevin was playing goalie. Shit! From training I gathered that Kevin was good as goal keeping, which I thought was weird coz whenever we played soccer Kevin played a forward like me and David, but I guess you never know.

Mr. Green blew his whistle and Aaron started with the ball, he kicked it to Steven who had run forward, and was who was now dribbling it down the field towards the goal, and booted it to David who was standing next to the goal who then took a shot, but Kristen managed to pull off an amazing save. We all cheered. Then Kristen threw the ball towards Natalie who kicked it to Alison who then dribbled the ball half way down the field before passing it to Kylie who took the ball the rest of the way and passed it to me, where I was standing within scoring radius of the goal.

Now the only thing that stood in the way of my shot was Kevin. For some reason when I looked at him and his smile my stomach gave a sudden jolt, shit this was not good. He was frowning as though thinking too hard; I kept dribbling it back and forth.

'C'mon Jas, kick it! 30 seconds! Hurry Up!' I heard someone shout at me.

30 seconds, I thought, now I probably had about 20 seconds. Stop stalling I said to myself. Then I took the shot, I expected it not to make it, considering the fact that Kevin had saved most of my shots during training, but I scored. Everyone cheered. I seemed that Kevin had been too late, but for some reason I didn't think so, maybe no one realised it because they weren't as close as I was but he had stood there for a fraction of a second after I had kicked the ball.

'Ok everyone that was a great training session.' David shouted

'Yea, it was, ok everyone go get changed and you can go home.' Kylie shouted.

I headed towards the bench where my things were.

'Jasmine!'

I turned around and saw Jessica walking towards me. (in case you've forgotten, Jessica is the girl Kevin started to talk to in class) Jessica doesn't exactly belong to the popular group she kinda hangs around the edges.

'Lemme make this straight. I don't know why you and Kevin were just standing there before and starting at each other, but keep your rich snooty hands off him, he's mine!' she all but shouted at me.

'Oh yea, I can see just how much he's yours just how much attention he pays you, oh wait! He doesn't! How could I forget, he doesn't pay you any attention!' I retorted.

She raised her hand to slap me but before she had a chance I grabbed her wrist and twisted it behind her back.

'Ow. Shit!'

'Listen to me bitch, I don't your precious Kevin, but seriously give yourself a break, and do you really think you're going to get him?' she tried to turn around, 'don't try anything funny Jessica. Just for the record I reached black belt in martial arts when I was 13 so, like I said don't try anything funny.'

I released and started to walk away then I turned round and said, 'I'm not snooty you should try to find better insults that don't relate to yourself.'