Growling Arrows

" You're like, a pro at this." Valery Martin told Rose. Rose felt uncomfortable but complimented at the same time. She nodded.

" How old are you?" Valery asked.

" 12."

" Ohh, so you're a newbie. I'm 14, turning 15 soon."

Rose never would've guessed she's 14. She looked about 17.

Rose picked up another arrow and shot the fake cutout shaped like a person. Right in the target.

" What's your name?" Valery asked. She actually seemed kind of friendly. But Rose didn't want friends. She wanted a good ally.

" Primrose Mellark... But call me Rose." Rose was going to put a please at the end of that sentence... But again, she isn't here to make friends. And if she does, she'll feel bad for killing them.

" I'm Val-"

" Yes I know, my mentor told me who everyone was. So you're a master at bow and arrow?" Rose asked, tone not as friendly. She picked up another arrow. As did Valery.

" Yes. I've been doing it all my life. Me and Jakob were childhood friends... I'm gonna feel bad about killing him."

" He isn't good?" Rose shot the arrow in the target.

" He's, well, no. He's not good. At least not like me. You gotta do what you gotta do." Valery shot her arrow, right in the target as well. Rose admired how even though they were childhood friends, Valery planned to kill Jakob already. Sounded like something Rose would do.

" Oh." Rose nodded her head. She smirked and walked over to the fire station.

Eric Lartin looked over at Rose. Rose looked back, but she didn't say anything. Rose didn't wanna come off as rude so he'd hate her, but she didn't wanna come off as too friendly so she wouldn't be used as bait.

Rose grabbed a piece of wood and started to make a fire.

" Uhh, move your hands up a little bit of you want a bigger fire." Eric said.

" I got it, thanks." Rose replied. Although when he wasn't looking, she moved her hands up just an inch. He chuckled, as did Rose.

" Who's your mentor?" Eric asked.

" Haymitch. I wouldn't get too close to him though, he smells like he bathed in wine."

Eric chuckled again. " I heard that you're only 12. I'm 15. I saw you shoot some arrows over there. You're pretty good. That'll get you somewhere."

Rose felt her neck fire up when he said she was " pretty good." In The Hunger Games, " pretty good" wasn't good enough.

" Don't sweat it. Almost everyone else in here can't shoot an arrow, and if they can, it's not as good as you." Eric tried to calm her. Was he like, some sort of mind reader?

" Are you some sort of mind reader?" Rose asked. She meant this as a legit question, but the way she asked it made it seem like a joke.

" No, your face just got red when I said that you were pretty good."

" But what about Valery and Jakob? Well, mostly Valery, since Jakob isn't that good." Rose asked. She created a decent fire. She grabbed a bottle of water to put it out. Then she tried to start another one.

" Yes, and that'll pretty much be your only competition." Eric smiled. Rose smiled as well. Then she heard a growl coming from behind her. She turned around.

" And that's Meghan." Eric sighed. Meghan smiled at him and made a small fire, as if it was supposed to impress him. He moved his blonde hair out of his eyes. Eric leaned towards Rose.

" She's had one of the biggest crushes on me since 3rd grade," he whispered.
" She growls when she sees me with another girl.