Pancakes n' Stuff

" Uh, I'd like the omelette with a side of fruit." Primrose looked at the waitress, who was very old. The waitress nodded and wrote that down. Primrose handed the waitress her menu. Then she looked over at Katniss.

" What would you like, dear?" The waitress asked.

Katniss flipped the menu page. Then she closed it.

" I think I'll just have the same thing as Primrose," Katniss smiled, no teeth showing. Katniss handed her the menu.

Then the waitress asked Peeta what he wanted. While he ordered, Katniss asked Jace what he wanted for breakfast.

" Hey. What do you want for breakfast?" Jace looked at the menu. It was taking him a little while.

" Sorry it's taking a little while," Katniss told the waitress. " Jace, what do you want?" Katniss whispered.

" It's okay dear. Would you prefer a kids' menu?" The waitress asked.

" Yeah, that would be great." Katniss replied.

" Okay. His age?"

Katniss glanced over at Peeta, then looked back at the waitress.

" He's 11." Katniss told the waitress. She took Peeta and Jace's menus and walked away.

Peeta leaned in to Katniss. " Yeah. Let's enjoy it while we can." Peeta told her. Katniss looked at Jace for a moment, then at Primrose.

" Hey, uh, Primrose. I think we should teach you how to hunt, and how to heal open wounds and things like that." Katniss told her.

" Okay... but what makes you think of this now?" Primrose asked. Katniss looked at Peeta. He shook his shoulders.

" Well, uh, your father and I just thought it'd be a good idea to teach the both of you how to survive. We thought it would be a good start to the new year."

" Oh. Well in that case, yeah, I guess we could do that." Primrose added.

" Wait... so I get to like, shoot stuff?" Jace asked.

" Well," Peeta said slowly. " Yes, but no. You wouldn't shoot just for fun. You'd shoot if you needed food, or something specific from the animal."

Jace nodded.

" So why are you telling us now? Don't you think we're a little young to be doing all of this? Shouldn't we wait until we're like, adults?" Primrose asked.

Peeta took a big breath. Katniss sat back.

" Primrose, we want you to know this stuff now just in case-"

The waitress came back with Katniss, Peeta and Primrose's orders, and the kids meal menu.

" I know what I want," Jace said. He looked at the waitress. " I want blueberry pancakes with extra blueberries on the side. And some milk. Oh, and can you put some chocolate sprinkles on the pancakes? Maybe even a side of chocolate sprinkles too. And can you make the milk choc-"

Katniss nudged Jace. " Jace, calm down," Katniss said. " He'd like blueberry pancakes with chocolate milk."

The waitress smiled, then nodded, and she took the kids' menu back. Then the waitress went back into the kitchen.

" But what about the sprinkles?" Jace said, disappointed. Katniss rolled her eyes, and Peeta chuckled.