Chapter 8

YO PEOPLES! :D howz u? how was christmas? gud haul this year? yeah, me too! :D listening to Colbie Caillat now, i've been obsessed with her lately! :D

ON WITH THE CHAPPIE!

oh, and FAVE CURSE WORD OF THE DAY!

Bum-cheese.

pic is of Scarlette :)

~Chapter 8~

~Melody's POV~

"You don't think we should go anyway do you?" I asked Alex as the others left.

"Ummm... Melody, I need to tell you something..."

"I mean, we can't just leave Lyra! She's crying! She's your friend, Alex! And there's loads going on for her, yeah I know she hates me but-" suddenly my torrent of words was cut off by Alex's lips suddenly pressing against mine, sending sparks flying across the surface of my skin.

I was too shocked to respond and (all too soon, added a part of my brain) he pulled away. 

"I really like you Melody." He whispered. "W-will you go out with me?

Freaky music genius say whuuuuuut?!

I can't believe he's bringing this up now! Lyra's sister is dying!

I can't believe I'm going to do this but...

"Alex! We can't do this right now! Lyra's sister's dying! I..." I wanted to say yes but... "No. Sorry, just I'm new and Lyra... ugh, I'm sorry! Now are you coming or not?!" I babbled, then jumped into my car. He just stood there, looking at me. I sighed and drove off.

I knew where the hospital was - it was one of the biggest buildings here - so I quickly drove there and parked.

I ran into reception.

"I'm here to see Scarlette Simmons!" I panted.

"Are you a friend of Lyra's?" asked the woman.

"Yes!" well in this situation a little lie won't be so bad, will it? "Can you tell me where she is?"

"Well I'm guessing she's on floor 2, room 205 but her she won't be allowed in-"

"Thank you!" I yelled, running off.

"Hold on! Who are you?!" she yelled after me,

I ignored her, stopped running, took off my heels, and ran up the stairs in bare feet.

I finally got to room 205 and joined the others waiting outside. Somehow Lyra had got in and was with her sister. We didn't have the heart to look through the window.

Except for James.

I've never seen him look so defeated. His eyes, normally sparkling, were dull and polished by the silky wetness of his tears. His cheeks were red and raw, tears falling freely down them, hitting the floor and coating it in misery.

His back was bowed, his hands and head on the window of the door. He had started off looking through, but now he crumbled. His hands had turned to claws, clutching at the cruel, plain glass in the window as if it was his life line.

I moved behind him and put my hand on his shoulder. It wasn't much, but i knew it was all he needed, and all he wanted. I looked at my reflection in the glass, not wanting to focus on what James had seen behind it.

The curse of the looking glass. The mirror lies. It doesn't show you who you really are, or who you want to be. It just shows you the outside. The shell of a being. Insignificant images. It doesn't show you the truth. Ever.