Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Melody's POV

I swung my legs up onto the bed beside me, my laptop balanced on my knees. I was trying to write the lyrics for a new song, but I couldn't quite get them down. I gave up and closed the document, heading onto the Internet for some much needed YouTube therapy.

I opened up TheSlap.com too and updated my status:

'Trying to write a song...and failing. Grrrr.'

Mood: Annoyed >:(

Just as I searched up some music, I heard a pop. I clicked back onto The Slap and saw that a chat box had opened up.

Alex:

Hey!!

My fingers flexed over the keyboard, hesitating fora brief second before typing a reply.

Melody:

Hey

After a few minutes I got a message back.

Alex:

I counted up all the money from the concert!

This time I was more enthusiastic.

Melody:

Really?! Did we get enough???

Alex:

Just about, yeah!!! 

Melody:

Awesome!!!!! Have you told Lyra yet???

Alex:

Just did-she's really excited but she's not telling her parents yet.

Melody:

Why not????

Alex:

She didn't say. Don't say anything to anyone else, yeah?

Melody:

Sure :)

He didn't reply after that. Hesitating again for a second, I threw caution to the wind and decided to try and rebuild our lost friendship. As much as I tried to pretend, first and foremost he was my friend and I missed him like crazy.

Melody:

So, how are you?

Alex:

I'm alright. How are you?

Melody:

Yeah, I'm good. What are doing?

Alex:

Just listening to music. You?

Melody:

Attempting to write a song and failing. You think you can help?

Alex:

Okay! Video chat?

Melody:

Sure :D

I grinned. We were back to normal. Almost.

~*~

By the next day, Alex and I had almost finished the song. We had been video-chatting until midnight when my mum came and told me I had to go to bed, at which point we had carried on texting lyrics to each  other. I arrived at school early to meet Alex in the practice room at the back of our music room, leaving the car for Krissy to take to school, but to my surprise he was waiting for me at the gate.

"Hey!" I called to him when I was just a few metres away.

"Hey!" He ran over gleefully and grabbed my arm. "Come on!"

"What's got you in such a good mood this morning?!" I laughed, tugging on his arm to slow him down. He shrugged.

"I'm just really excited for this song!" I grinned up at him.

"Come on then!" I started running down the corridor before him.

"Hey wait!" Alex laughed, running after me.

"You'll have to catch me first!" I sped into the music classroom, through the back door and into the music practice room. I quickly hid behind the piano, giggling to myself.

"Come on, Mel! We've got forty five minutes to get this done!" Alex called when he got into the room.

"Fine." I got up, laughing, and sat on the piano seat next to Alex.

"Now, let's start with the chorus..."

~*~

"Sooooo!" Harley sat down opposite me at the lunch table.  

"...So...?"  

"Alex was talking to you earlier!" She leaned towards me conspiratorially, lowering her voice to almost a whisper.

"...So...?"

"Well he wasn't before! This is good, right?!" Harley's infectious beam stretched from ear to ear, but I kept my face straight.

"I guess." I shrugged.

"You guess?" She looked surprised.

"You guess what?" asked Alex, coming back from the counter with his juice.

"Nothing!"

"Right." He replied, sarcastically. A few minutes later, everyone else joined us at the table for lunch. They had been kept behind by Sikowitz because their dolphin impressions weren't dolphin-like enough-all except Lyra who had slept late and missed first period.

"Alex!" To just about everyone's surprise, Lyra skipped up and hugged Alex tightly. "We did it! We did it! We did it!"

Alex laughed and hugged her back. "I know!"

"So where is it?!" she stopped hugging him and looked up at him, excitement clear in her eyes.

"Where's what?" Alex looked confused.

"The money!" Lyra hissed.

"I left it at reception! They were supposed to give it you when you came in!"

"What?!"

"When you texted me to say you'd be late, I went past reception and left the envelope and told them to give it to you when you signed in!" Alex replied, a hint of panic in his voice. The rest of us were watching the events unfolding with a mixture of confusion and worry.

"They didn't say anything..." Lyra suddenly looked terrified. "Come on!" She grabbed Alex and ran out of the dining hall, the eyes of everyone following them out the door and all the way to reception where, somehow, we all knew, they wouldn't find the money for Scarlette's treatment.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH cliffie xD ENJOY! Song is Pitch Perfect version of Party In The USA :D and please vote, comment and fan if you read because believe it or not, we do actually put a lot of effort into this and I know we've neglected it for ages, but we have exams, schoolwork, our solo and other joint accounts so something has to be bottom of the pile and because we haven't got that much inspiration for this and because it's gonna end soon, this story HAS been at the bottom of the pile, im afraid. Nikki's turn to update next!

~Abi