Ch. 34

I haven't been back to work yet, but Jackson and Harris have taken over the helm for dad. I'm shocked they've taken over so effortlessly.  Although, I know dad is still at home calling the shots when mom isn't around. 

It's taken three weeks to hear from the investigators and insurance agency about the car accident. No one has talked about it, but we're certain Anthony had something to do with it.

Anthony it's still claiming innocence, saying  Nixon attacked him at the hospital and that he and I were a couple.  Now we're going over to me parents house to talk to the detective in charge of our case. We walk inside and hear a conversation already started in the living room. "It took three weeks to hear from the investigators and your saying it's going to take even longer to find out who cut the break lines?"

"We know who did it! Did you question him?" Jackson asks, irritated by the news.

"He's still claiming his innocence on cutting your breaks and the hospital incident. He's being charged for the shooting at the hospital and breaking and entering, but we can't be certain about the breaks. He's going through a psychological evaluation today, the district attorney ordered it."

"We already know he's crazy." I mutter walking into the room.

After the detective said they can't charge Anthony with more it felt like another disappointment. Everyone is anxious to put this behind his us. We just want it over with by the time the wedding comes.

A week later I got my wish!

After Anthony had his evaluation with a psychologist he was diagnosed with a form of schizophrenia. Anthony finally admitted to cutting dad's breaks believing he was trying to keep us apart. He can function in society but he makes up people, relationships and stories inside his head, believing them to be true. He's on medication for the problem, but he is still being required by law to be institutionalised until they deem him fit for society. It wasn't what we we're hoping for, but I'm also glad he's getting help.

Having everything settled I felt better it was a huge sense of relief and I know Nixon couldn't be happier. He didn't want this hanging above us before the wedding.

Today we're going to the doctors for a check up on the baby and I. Really is not a big deal, but my parents are insisting on coming with us. We pull up to their house and honk the horn. Dad is the first one out then Jackson and Harris.

I lean my head out of the window yelling. "You guys aren't coming are you?" I ask, the twins.

"Of course we are! Every visit!" Harris shouts back. I groan and turn to Nixon. "Tell me he's joking."

"It doesn't look that way." He replies as dad comes to his window.

"Harris will follow you. It's the doctors office on Kirkland Dr, right?" Dad questions.

"Nixon, just reverse and leave. They don't know where we're going." I whisper loud enough for dad to hear.

"Don't even think about it, missy." He scolds playfully. "Besides, Amber and Bridget know where we're going."

"Their going too?" I shout and glare when I see his smirk.

Nixon chuckles. "Yeah it's on Kirkland Dr. We need to get going though." He says, just as mom comes down the steps with a box of tissues and a video camera smiling and filming us.

"Ma! We gotta go!" I shout.

"Wave to the camera!" She yells excitedly.

"I'm not going into labor! Just get in the car or we're going to be late!"

"Wave." She replies, still holding the camera and waving at me. I roll my eyes giving in and wave back.

She walks to Harris's suv with the camera still on. "I'm not telling anyone about our next appointment. If you value your life, you better not either." I say to Nixon.

"She's just excited." He states.

At the doctors office Nixon parks and comes to my side to lift me out of the truck. Nixon, mom, dad, Harris, Jackson and I walk into the doctors office and everyone stares at us. Nixon checks us in and we all sit to wait for our turn.

Fifteen minutes later the nurse calls my name, I stand up and the rest of the horde follows. The nurse just looks confused and curious about us. She opens the exam room and we all shuffle into the small room. Mom turns on the camera as we wait for the doctor. When the door opens a vaguely familiar man walks in with a bright white smile and dark brown eyes. "The Kahn's. Is this all of you?" He teases.

"There's a few more, but they couldn't fit and were voted off the island." Harris laughs, shaking his hand. "How've you been Joe?"

"Great. You?" He asks, as he shakes Jackson and my dad's hands as well.

"I've been better. My sister's knocked up." He responds, distastefully.

"Oh, shut it Harris." I say, looking at the doctor trying to recall where I know him from.

"Emmy, it's good to see you again."

"Yeah, you too." I reply.

"How's Paul and Kerri doing?" Dad asks.

"There good. Dads fully retired and is golfing everyday. Mom is still really involved in the hospital fundraisers and keeps busy." He answers.

I remember him now, my dad and his were business partners for a couple of ventures. I used to see him when we'd go to his parents house for holiday parties, Joe Meyer. "So, congratulations are in order." He says turning to me.

"Yep."

"Well, let's listen to the heart beat and give your mother a reason to have her video camera on." He winks. "Lay back, please."

I do as he says and he lifts my shirt and squirts a clear jelly on my stomach. Taking a device from the wall he puts one end on my belly and I instantly hear a whooshing sound. He moves the instrument until he picks up a fast repeating thud sound. "That's your baby's heartbeat." He confirms. I grin, looking up at Nixon, who's smile couldn't be any bigger. I hear sniffling and know it's from my mom. I watch my dad pull her into his arms and Harris take the video camera.

"Your next appointment will be in another two weeks. Just another follow up and at 18 weeks we'll do the fetal ultrasound. If you want at that time you can choose to find out the sex of the baby."

"Alright, thank you."

*Okay...so the plan is a snippet of the wedding and birth then ending the story...let me know if there anything else you want to happen! :)*