Ch. 24

Okay...hopefully this works out how I want it to...thanks to everyone who commented there are too many to list...but you know who you are and I'm sure you'll see your suggestions throughout the next couple of chapters...I really did think about this a lot and everything you said made sense. I sincerely appreciate your support! -K

Emery's POV

Waking up in my old bedroom knowing I wont be seeing Nixon, is sobering. I thought about him all night and now looking back I feel disappointed in myself. I don't know why I'm surprised by Nixon's possessivness he's been like that from the beginning. Every time he tells me to do something my instant reaction is to fight him about it. If I would just listen to what he needs from me, I doubt any of this would of happened.

I hear a soft knock on my door and my mom comes into the room smiling, I smile back as she sits on the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Confused and irritated with myself." I admit, sullenly.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?"

"Dad didn't tell you?"

"He gave me his version. I want to know what really happened."

"Nixon was mad that I was out with Mark so late. Which, was my fault for going with Mark after the game. He got mad about it and told me he doesn't want me around him anymore, I argued with him and told him to leave. He tried to put me in the truck and I ran inside, then he dragged me back to his truck when Jackson showed up. Jackson tried tackling him a few times but Nixon dodged him and pushed him to the ground every time. I left with him and he showed me his house and asked me to marry him. That's the short version at least."

"He bruised your arm."

"Yeah, he didn't mean to. I think I did most of the damage when I was thrashing and fighting with him."

I hear my mom sigh, "Maybe you should put yourself in his shoes."

"Meaning what?"

"How would you like it if he was hanging around a girl that was in love with him?" I felt myself get jealous with just the thought.

"Yeah, but Mark is like family. I cant just stop seeing my family."

"So, compromise. Tell him that you won't be alone with Mark again, but that you'll remain his friend."

"That's why I'm so irritated with myself. Why cant I think of things like that before I start fighting with him? He'll tell me what he needs and I feel like he's telling me what to do-"

"And you hate being told what to do." She finishes.

"Exactly. I cant see past it."

"You will. This is your first relationship Emmy, your not going to always know what to do. You'll learn just like the rest of us do."

"What relationship. Dad's never going to let me talk to him again."

"Your dad needs time, but so do you and Nixon. You look miserable and I'm sure he's just as bad. You need to talk to Mark and tell him how Nixon feels and ask him to understand that your friendship will never change, but that you need to respect Nixon's wishes."

"I feel bad for him. Just like uncle Alex."

"Uncle Alex had a women that loved him, he through away any happiness he could have had. I feel bad for him too, but he decided not to move on. He could have been happy if just let himself. Mark isn't like his father. He can lose and still find the heart to move on, to be happy with someone else."

I feel the relief hearing what my mom says about Mark. I know its true, Mark wont let anything keep him down long, its not in his nature. "Your right he'll recover."