Ch. 7

I look at Amber after she declares Nixon is perfect for me, giving her my hardest glare. "Why would he be perfect for me?"
"Because you and him can balance each other out. You're fun and have the sharpest tongue of anyone I've ever met. While Nixon is serious, his tongue can match yours and if it can't, he still won't take any of your shit. It's perfect. Can you imagine the kids you guys would make? Gorgeous! I'm Godmother, by the way."
"We're not together or going to be together. He's a freaking Green Beret. He goes on missions in foreign countries. I'm not sure what the survival rate is, but they're in danger, constantly."
"He's a Green Beret? Oh, my God he can't possibly get any hotter after this, I can't take anymore. How can you be with me right now? Go have sex with that man!"
I laugh, she is completely serious. "No. I'm not having sex with him. Well, maybe I will but it will be just sex. No kids, I can assure you."
"You're thinking of doing it though?" She wiggles her eyebrows.
"Yes, I'm thinking of doing it."
"Please have kids." She whines.
"No way, what the hell is it with you and the kids?" I ask, irritated.
"I just think they would be so adorable that's all. Anyway, you should do it, go to him. You're still on the pill right?"
"Yeah."
"So, what are you waiting for?"
"I'm not sure if I want to be another notch on his belt. I mean he basically already told me I was going to sleep with him. I don't want to give him the satisfaction of getting what he wants."
"Well, don't do it for him. Do it because you want to, the satisfaction will be all yours." She shrugs.
"You do have a point, but I think I want to hold out as long as possible."
"Yeah you should. So, I should leave tonight, right?"
I throw an ink pen at her. "It won't be tonight."
"Sure it won't. Okay, call Bridget we need to seal those boys' fates."
I pick up the house phone from her desk. I dial Bridget's number, she's a good friend.
"Hey, girl." She answers.
"Hey, babe. What are you up to?" I ask.
"Cooking dinner."
"So, you know how I went out with Amber and the boys the other night?"
"Yeah."
"Well, did Jackson tell you what happened at the bar parking lot?"
"Yeah, you're such a moron."
"Thanks, babe, love you too. Did he tell you he told my dad on me?" I know he didn't because Bridget thinks my dad is too controlling and should stay out of my life. She'd have something to say if Jackson, who she's been dating for the past year, told on me.
"He what?" She shouts.
I smile. "Yep, he told. Now, I have to take a month off work and go through self-defense training, taught by a Green Beret. Who, by the way, is also mine and Amber's new roommate slash baby sitter."
"I'm coming over." She states, hanging up. I look at the phone confused.
"She's coming over." I tell Amber.
Amber laughs. "She wants to check out our new roommate, I'm sure."
"Why would she want to do that, she's with Jackson?"
"Duh, idiot! He's a freaking Green Beret."
"We should get out to the living room. She'll be here in two minutes." I say, standing up. Bridget lives a few condos down with Jackson. We go to the living room and Nixon is sitting on the couch reading. I look and it's some kind of survival guide.
"Shouldn't you all ready know that stuff?" I question, jokingly.
"It's always helpful to brush up." He replies, smirking.
The doorbell rings and Amber quickly gets up to answer it. Nixon looks at me in question. "It's Jackson's girlfriend, Bridget. She wants to check you out." I answer, he scowls and starts reading again.
Without looking at me he says, "Come sit next to me."
"Why?" I ask, still not moving from my seat when Bridget and Amber come into the room. I slump my shoulders and sit on the cushion next to Nixon.
"Nixon, this is our friend, Bridget, she lives down the road." Amber introduces.
"Hello." He responds, still reading and not looking up. Rude! I go to hit the book out of his hands but he moves it away before I make contact. I hit his shoulder instead. He smiles and looks my way. "We really have to toughen you up, princess."
"Shut it, giant! Say a proper hello to my friend."
He stands up holding out his hand to Bridget. She looks at him from head to toe and shakes his hand. When he sits back down I see that her face is red like Amber's was when she met him.
"So, we need your help getting back at Jackson for being a tattletale. Will you help?" I ask, pleading.
She laughs. "What do you want me to do?"
I think tapping on my chin...there's endless possibilities. No sex, no dinner, no talking....What to choose? I look at Nixon who is watching me amused.
I stick my tongue out at him. "Careful, princess, or I'll make use of that tongue." He warns.
Ignoring him I ask, "What would kill you most if your girlfriend was mad at you? No sex, no one cooking you dinner, or her not talking to you?"
"No sex." He answers, automatically.
"Okay, you can't do the dirty with my brother for..." I turn to Nixon and raise my eyebrow in question.
"He'll be beating down your door in a week." Nixon states, chuckling.
"For a week." I finish.
Amber and Bridget laugh. "Are you sure? You know they'll try to get you back." Bridget replies, laughing.
"I'm sure. Besides, I can think of more creative ways to get back at them, they know that."
"Okay, no sex it is...I may throw in a few days. I can't believe he did that, he knows how I feel about your dad."
"I knew you'd have our back. Thanks so much." I reply, honestly thankful.
"You're welcome, but I'm borrowing your black dress for next Saturday. I have a bachelorette party to go to."
"I'll go get it, I won't need it anyway." I get up and go to my room. Digging in my closet I find the black dress Bridget wants. I have more than one but she always comments on this one, I know it's her favorite. When I go back down stairs and I hear whispering it ends as soon as I walk in the room. "Whoa, were you guys talking about me?"
"Yes." Was Nixon's one word response.
l glare. "Why?"
"They're telling me what to do to win you over. They think I need their help." He smirks, looking at me.
"Win me over? Really, guys, it's not like that." I say, to Amber and Bridget irritated with them.
"What is it like then?" Nixon inquires interested.
I throw my hands up, "Sex. But you don't have to win me over. I just want to pick when it is."
"Sex." He states, doing that thing where he doesn't move, but watches me intently.
"Yeah, and stop looking at me like that! I hate when you do that, I feel like the slowest gazelle." I grumble.
He chuckles deep in his throat, but I can see the look on his face, he is not happy. I back up. What is his problem? I look away from his eyes to Bridget who is watching Nixon avidly.
"Here." I say, getting her attention. Dazed she looks at me and I hand her the dress. Her eyes immediately go back to Nixon. I turn to him knowing he's still watching me. "What, Nixon!" I yell.
He stands slowly and puts down his book on the coffee table. What the hell is he going to do?