chapter eleven

Summer

I was sitting in my wheelchair in Bryson's hospital room crying and holding his hand hoping and praying that he would wake up.

" Your babygirl was born yesterday. I gave her your last name. Kaia Khaleesi Tiller. She's so tiny and fragile. I can't wait for you to meet her. " I was talking to him. It made me feel better.

Kaia was laying next to me in little bed. She had all types of tubes and a ventilator hooked up to her helping her breath since she was so little she couldn't breathe on her own.

I still don't know what happened for Bryson to even be in this coma. All they were telling me is that he had been shot in his back but that wasn't enough information for me. Why was he shot and Who shot him was all I wanted to know.

" You need anything from the cafeteria Sums ? " Danielle asked me.

" No. "

When Danielle walked out to go to the cafeteria with Mykel, Deshaun walked in.

" Hey Summer. You doing okay ? " he came and hugged me.

" Do I look like I'm doing okay ? My bestfriend, My boyfriend, the father of my child is in a coma because he's been shot for i don't know what reason and he'll probably never wake up and my daughter can't even breathe on her own. No, I'm not okay. "

" I know how you feel. Brys is my boy. I'm here for you if you ever need something you know that alright ? "

" Tell me. "

" Tell you what ?  "

" Tell me why he was shot. "

" What makes you think I know ? "

" Deshaun don't play with me. I know you had something to do with this too because of that phone call a couple of weeks ago. Tell me what happened. " i said, sternly.

" Damn. Bryson and Mykel wanted to make some money so I wanted to help 'em out. I was already in the weed business so I told Brys and Mykel about it and Mykel was down but Bryson wasn't at first until I told him about how much money was in it. "

" Weed ? Bryson was selling weed ? "

" Yeah but we just wanted to make easy money. When Dino, the kingpen,  gave us the bags to sell we never gave him his money back so we was in debt. He told us we had 2 weeks to pay him back $1k or he was coming for our heads. That's why Bryson was working extra shifts trying to get the money. 2 weeks passed and we still didn't have his shit. The first person he came for was Bry. " he explained.

" Bryson wouldn't sell weed to just to sell it and make 'easy money' he has a fucking job. You drug him into that shit. You made him do it. "

" I ain't make him do nothing. We all chose to do it don't put the blame on me. You think I wanted my mans to get shot down like this? hell naw. That's my homeboy Summer and you know that. He wanted to make money to support y'all. We was all in that shit together. "

" Get out. " i sniffed.

" Summer I told you - "

" Just get out. Leave. "

Deshaun walked over to Bryson and held his hand in his for a second then left.

I didn't want to believe that Bryson was selling weed because he knew better and he was better than that shit.

I couldn't help but cry. And cry. And cry.

I looked over to Kaia in her little box and whispered, " Daddy's gone be okay mama. I promise. " Even though I wasn't sure at all.

Bryson's doctor, Dr. Kelly, walked into the room with his clipboard and pen to checkup on him.

" Hello Ms. Jenkins. Has Bryson made any movements in his fingers or feet or any noises other than breathing ? "

" No sir. "

He got his stethoscope and put it in his ear to listen to Bryson's heart.

" Heartbeat Sounds good. If Mr. Tiller does wake up from this coma, We will immediately take him in for an emergency surgery procedure to remove the bullet and repair any damage. There is a very small chance that Mr. Tiller will leave out of this hospital standing straight up. There's a big chance he'll leave in a wheelchair." he explained to me.

" So.. he could be paralyzed? "

" Possibly. But we'd have to go today and have a MRI to see if the bullet hit his spinal cord to the point where he is paralyzed. If so, then yes."

Bryson being paralyzed. I couldn't imagine it. All of this was too much to take in. The day I had my baby I thought would be perfect, the best day of my life but this was all wrong. This is the worst day of my life.

" I'll be back in about an hour to take him to get that MRI. Any information that we receive, I'll inform you right away. "

" Thanks. "

Before leaving out of Bryson's room, I pecked him on his lips and said a quick prayer.

I wheeled me and Kaia out of his room and back into mine, Helping myself back onto the bed and Kaia next to it.

All I could do at this point was pray.

It was all I had left.