Chapter 10: The Party And The Secrets

"Hey. Do you need a lift?" I turn around and I see Ryder.

"No thanks, I'm fine. I'm actually catching a ride with Marley since Jake is getting a lift with his brother," I reply. He pulls a sad face and I start to feel bad.

I mean, I owe him at explanation from what happened at Regionals.

I sigh.

"I'll meet you there," I shout down the hall which makes him laugh. I smile to myself, and then Marley comes and links arms with mine.

"Okay. So, Michaela and Rose are meeting us there obviously and we need to get going if we want to make it there on time," she finishes. I smile and nod. We walk over to her car and we hop in. While she starts the car, I turns on the radio.

We start driving to our destination and then a song that we both know goes on the radio. We sing it like we are mad people. When it finished, we both laugh. It was hilarious. Finally, we get to Noah's party place.

"Hey Gracie. Hey Marley," Jake said.

He is wearing just some board shorts. He doesn't have a t-shirt or anything on, like the other guys.

"Hey Jake," I said as he looks at me weirdly.

I am wearing a dress with flowers and jandals. I have a lot of jewellery on, which made it obvious that I'm not swimming.

"Aren't you gonna swim with us?" He asks.

"Sorry, no. I'm going to be reading a book," I said excitedly (but honestly, this is going to be boring). I walk over to a shady part of the backyard and I place my blanket over the green grass. I start reading when a guy with a mohawk comes over and sits next to me.

"Hey. The name's Puck," he said while having his hand out, symbolising a hand shake. I shake his hand.

"Hey Noah. I'm Emily-Grace," I said with a small smile. His face shows he is shocked that I know his real name.

How did you know?" He asks.

"Everyone knows you," I said.

"Wow. That's good that everyone still remembers Puckzilla at that school," he said with confidence which makes me giggle. "Why aren't you swimming?"

"Personal reasons. Let's just say that the water and I don't go well together," I said. He just nods.

"Oh well. You're missing out on a lot of fun." I shrug my shoulders and I carry on reading my book. When I get to an interesting part, I stop because Puck walks over to me again. I look at him strangely and he then grabs me. He flips me over his shoulder and he walks over to the pool. I scream and I punch his back.

"PUT ME DOWN, NOAH!" But he didn't listen. I just keep screaming and kicking. He then puts me down.

"What's wrong? It's just a bit of water," he said. I take deep breaths while I try to stop my tears from rolling down my cheeks. I look around and I see everyone looking at me weirdly. I turn around and I go back to my spot under the shade. I then grab my phone and I start calling for a cab.

"Hey. Who are you calling?" Jake asks. I don't answer him, so he grabs my phone out of my hands and stops the call. I try not to have any eye contact with him but that is really difficult. "Why don't you like the water so much?" Tears flow out of my eyes. He then sits next to me and he rubs my back.

When I finish crying for a moment, I then said, "You know my best friend Anna-Grace?" He nods. "Well, when we were 11 years old, we went to the beach. We were playing in the water. I told Annie not to go out too far into the water. She didn't care because she was a rebel like that. I had to keep an eye on her just in case. I took my eyes off of her for a second and she disappeared. I looked all around the water for her, well as far as I can go. We found her, but she was long gone. She didn't make it." I just burst into tears. Jake then hugs me tightly.

"Hey, shh. It will be okay," he said as he tries to comfort me.

"Jake, I have to tell you something. I kinda promised Mr Shue I would tell you," I said while looking up into his chocolate brown eyes. "But, you can't tell anyone."

"Sure. What is it?" He asks.

"Have you heard of the rumour that there is another Puckerman at the school?" I ask.

"Yeah. Do you know who it is?"

"Yeah, it's me. My real name is Emily-Grace Puckerman," I said while I pack up my stuff.

"What? I don't understand..." Before Jake can say anything else, the cab arrives.

"I gotta go," I said. I then run over to the taxi and I hop into the back seat.

"Where are you going?" The cab lady asks politely.

"The Hospital, please."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't go to school for the past three days. Instead, I stayed at the Hospital with my mum. I had to help her with her medication, which wasn't making her better. She seems more happier, but not better.

*Buzz*

I look at my phone and it was Jake....again. He has been trying to get in contact with me ever since I left the party. So far, he has left 74 messages, called 21 times, and has left 34 Facebook messages.

"I'm guessing someone is trying to contact you," my mum said and she finishes her sentence with a cough. I nod.

"Yeah. I told Jake that I'm the other Puckerman," I said with a sigh.

"Well, you should talk to him. You know, you're probably the first female Puckerman," she said, ending her sentence with another cough. I giggle.

"Yeah, probably. But, what if I'm the bad Puckerman? I mean, they're tough and I'm weak. They're cool and I'm lame."

"Nonsense, dear. *cough* You're the good Puckerman. I've seen you survive through disaster after disaster after disaster and I don't see you acting like a crazy lady *cough*." I smile and I then sigh.

"Fine, I'll go to school tomorrow. But I'm only doing it for you," I said as I point at her. She smiles and then coughs a little.

"Thank you dear," she said before going to sleep.