Chapter 18: I'm Still In This Place

I slowly open my eyes. I'm so tired. I look around the room with my half-opened eyes. I see Jake sitting in one of the chairs, sleeping.

"Jake," I whisper. I can't talk any louder or I will have pains in my chest. "Jake," I said a little bit louder which makes my chest hurt a bit. He opens his eyes and he looks at me. He them jumps out of his chair when he realised that I'm awake. I smile.

"Gracie." He runn over to me and he hugs me. I groan in pain and he lets go of me. "Sorry," he said as he backs away. I smile at him again.

"It's okay," I said as I try to sit up without getting stabby pains in my chest. It doesn't work. Jake notices and he helps me. "Thanks," I said and I grab his hand.

"Anytime Gracie," he said as he holds my hand. I smile at him once again. "Why did you leave your bed?" He asks with a worried face.

"I didn't want Ryder to go," I said and I take a deep breath.

"You love him, don't you?" He questions me and I nod straight away. "Why don't you ask him out?"

"I'm not like that..." I take a breath before talking again. "...Besides, I don't want something good to be ruined." I take another breath.

"Look at me. You deserve someone that will love you forever. I know that Ryder will do that. Puck and I can't only be the guys who will love you forever," he said and he holds my hand tighter. I smile and I nod.

"Thank you Jake for being there for me." A tear rolls down my bruised cheek. He then wipes the tear away with his thumb very gently so he doesn't hurt my cheek. He then passes me a tub of ice cream. He totally read my mind. I smile at him and I get a spoon out. I then start to eat straight out of the carton. Jake has his own carton of ice cream as well. He puts on a movie and we watch it together. Then, someone knocks on the door.

"Come in!" Jake shouts as he stops the movie. Ryder enters. He tries to make eye contact with me, but I just stare at the bandage around my wrist.

"Can I talk to Em alone?" He asks Jake. Jake nods and he leaves the room. Ryder walks over to me and he sits in the chair next to me. "I'm sorry I bailed on you a few days ago. It's all my fault that you're in this bed and..."

"Not this again," I said as I cut him off. "It was my fault..."

"No, it wasn't. Not this time," he said, interrupting me. I smile at him.

He's so sweet.

"I want to go on a date with you," I blurt out. "Never mind," I said quickly while trying to catch my breath.

"You actually want to go on a date with me? What made you change your mind?" He questions with a smile.

"Let's just say that brothers are very good at doing speeches," I said with a little laugh which make my chest hurt.

Damn it. That's right. I can't laugh.

He notices that I'm in pain.

"You okay Em?" He asks with a concerned voice. I nod my head.

"So, when I get out of here, do you wanna go out on a date with me?" I ask with a cheesy smile.

"I thought you would never ask," he said and he kisses me. I react by kissing him back.

"Okay, break it up you two." We stop kissing and we turn around to see Jake standing in the doorway. I smile.

"Bye," I said to Ryder as he leaves the room. He waves goodbye to me before he leaves.

"You guys looked like you're together," Jake said as he walks over to me.

"Not really. We're going on a date once I get out of here," I said with a big smile.