Chapter 4: Painting for Fun

I can't wait for next week because it will be the first time that I have competed in a competition.

"Hi Millie," I said to the lunch lady while she serves my food.

"Hey darling. Thank you for sticking up for me the other day."

"Anytime Millie," I said as I tilt my head around the corner. "Hey, do you need help?"

"Oh, no. I'll be fine," she said.

"Well, too bad. I'm helping." I go around the back. I get a clean apron on and I grab a clean spoon. I walk up and stand next to her. She smiles at me and I smile back.

"I never knew you were the lunch lady." I look up and see Ryder smiling at me. I smile back.

"Well, I'm helping Millie out today," I reply.

"Why didn't you sing a solo part for the assignment last week?" He questions me while I serve food to him.

"I don't feel comfortable singing solos. I'd rather sing in the background and I thought that Glee Club might need someone who doesn't always need a solo." Ryder sighs.

"Well, how about we sing a duet for this week's assignment?"

"Umm....no, I'm alright," I reply. He gives me a disappointed look.

"Well, then how about we sing a duet without an audience? It might boost up your confidence."

Before I can say anything, he said, "Meet me in the Auditorium after school." He then walks off, leaving me there with my mouth open. I snap out of my trance and I start working again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lunchtime is over and I have to go to class. I take off my apron and I put the spoon in the sink, letting it soak in some water. Before I leave, I feel someone give me a big hug from behind me. It was Millie.

"Thank you for helping today," she said as she lets go of me.

"Anytime. Do you want me to help you every Wednesday? Because, I have nothing on during Wednesday lunchtimes," I ask her.

She smiles at me and said, "I would love you to." I give her a great, big smile before I run to class. When I get to Science, I see Ryder sitting by himself, obviously saving the seat for me. What a sweet guy.

"Miss Madison. Why are you late?" The teacher asks in an angry way.

"I was helping to serve lunch, Miss," I said. She looks at me surprised and then tells me to sit down. I fast-walk to the back of the class where Ryder was sitting, smiling to himself.

I sit down and said, "What are you smiling about?"

"Just the teacher's face when you told her you were helping to serve lunch." we both smile before starting on our work.

"Alright, get a lab partner and do this experiment," the teacher said with her loud voice. Ryder and I stand up. The teacher walks over to us. "Miss Madison, were you serving lunch because you got detention or was it for your free will?"

"It was free will, miss," I respond.

She smiles and then says, "Well, since you did that, you and Ryder can have a free period." Ryder and I thank her and we run out of class.

I can't believe that she let us do that.

We walk down the hallway and Ryder then said, "Why don't we do our duet now? The Auditorium is free now."

"Alright. Since you are so keen to sing with me," I reply, and we then run down the hallway and into the Auditorium.

I skip down the stairs and onto the stage. I twirl around in circles until I was dizzy. Ryder then catches me before I fall.