Chapter 7: Regionals

I'm finally here, Regionals. I've been waiting to be here for over two weeks now, and it is finally here.

We have just finished getting dressed into our outfits. The girls are wearing a dark purple dress with a little black ribbon around our stomach. The boys are wearing a black suit with a purple tie.

While everyone rushes around, I just sit in the chair in front of the mirror, practising my parts for the song.

"Hey, are you okay?" Ryder said as he runs up to me.

"Yeah, sure," I lied to him.

I'm definitely not fine.

"You don't look like it," he said.

Oh crap. Is it that obvious?

"You're right, I'm not. It's just...this is my first competition and even though I'm not singing a solo part, I'm still pretty scared that I might not get the notes right or if I collapse on stage like Marley did on her first competition," I said as I try to breathe.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. You are going to kill this," he said to me while having his hands on my shoulders. I smile at him....and then he kisses me. Instead of stopping and slapping him like any other girl would do, I continue to kiss his tender lips. When we stop, we fell into an awkward silence, until I spoke up.

"Did the kiss mean anything to you or did you do it to shut me up?" I smile at him and he smiles back.

"I kissed you because I like you. I've liked you ever since I laid my eyes on you," Ryder said.

"Look Ryder, I like you too, but my life is too messed up to start a relationship. I'm sorry," I said with tears in my eyes as I leave him sitting in front the mirror.

When I left him there, I felt really guilty. But, I can't have a relationship until I sort my life out. People might think that I have a simple life, but I hide my troubles under my smiles and my laughs.

"Okay everyone, come in for a group huddle," Mr Shue shouts so everyone could hear him. We all go into a group huddle while I try not to be next to Ryder or have eye contact with him.

"Okay guys. We are last to perform so we would be the freshest group on the judge's minds," Finn said and we all nod. "Now, on 3. 1, 2, 3..."

"AHHMMAAZZIINNGG!!!"

We walk over to the seats that were reserved for us and we sit down. I end up sitting inbetween Rose and Michaela who are both nervous for their solos. I wrap my arms around their shoulders.

"Guys, chill. You are going to be so amazing that you will make the judge's mouths drop to the ground," I said. They giggle and hug me.

"Please welcome to the stage, The Singing Melody!" The man shouts, introducing the group to the stage.

The group starts singing their songs. Their songs are from the 60's, and they weren't the popular songs. Rose, Michaela, and I just start dancing in our chair, laughing at each other's moves. We were having a great time until they finish singing.

"Let's give a big hand for The Singing Melody!" The man said in a loud and confident voice. aWe all clap for them. "Now, please give a warm welcome to The Serenading Voices!"

Once again, we clap madly. When they start to sing, our mouths drop.

They are great. They're singing their songs with such amazing voices. They also have a great dance routine. Now, I'm not sure if we can beat them. When they finish, everyone cheers and claps so loudly that I can't hear myself speak. We then stand up and go backstage.