Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Josh's POV

"We need to keep moving. Josh help me get her back in the car," Chris ordered me.

Jezebel gasped out, "No, no. I can't get back in the car. I'm not getting back in the car."

I looked down at Jezebel, I had no idea what had happened but she wasn't in a good place. Her whole body was shaking and she looked whiter than a sheet of paper. Chris moved to pick her up but I stood in his way.

"Don't touch her," I warned Chris.

"Josh I'm not the enemy here. We can't stay here we're out in the open on the side of the road. I don't know what the fuck happened but if she's right and they know where we are then we need to move!" Chris pushed me out of the way and scooped Jezebel up.

She didn't even have the strength to struggle. He picked her up like she weighed nothing and she just barely hung on to his arm. I watched as he carefully sat her down in the car. I didn't know why I felt so panicked. Chris was right we had to get out of here but I didn't think that Jezebel would be able to handle the speed of the car.

Chris turned around and spoke to me, "Get in the car, now."

"Chris you need to drive slowly ok?" I said carefully.

"Damn it Josh! We don't have time to drive slowly! I know she's going to struggle with the speed of the car, ok. I know that. But we need to get out of here," Chris reasoned with me.

"Get in the car, please," Chris said more softly.

I nodded and got in the back of the car and sat next to Jezebel. Chris closed the door behind me and got in too. Jezebel had her eyes closed and with one hand was holding onto the necklace I gave her. I pulled her to me carefully and rested her head against my shoulder.

I whispered quietly in her ear, "It's going to be ok. We're all going to get out of this."

The words sounded so false and untruthful because deep down I knew something was wrong. Deep down I knew we weren't all going to make it out alive this time. I don't know how I knew something was wrong but I just had that feeling. Daniel had only just started the car when the back tyre burst making a huge boom noise. Jezebel jumped and I held on to her trying to soothe her frazzled nerves. Daniel stopped the car and took out the keys.

Chris raced out of the car to inspect the damage, "You've got to be fucking kidding me! How the hell does a bloody nail get to the middle of a highway?"

Daniel moved around to the back of the car, "Shit, Shit, shit!"

He slammed a fist into the side of the car and then again. I scrambled out of the car but told Jezebel to stay inside first. She either didn't hear me or just didn't care because she very slowly hopped out of the car after me. The tyre was seriously useless and entirely flat.

"Please, tell me there's a spare," I pleaded.

Daniel turned to me and his expression made my heart stop. There was no spare. We were basically going to be sitting here just waiting for Kyle to turn up.

"No, no, there has to be a spare tyre! We can't just wait for him to turn up! We- we- we......." I didn't know what else to say.

"This is it isn't it? He's finally going to win?" Jezebel spoke in a wobbly voice and tears were slowly rolling down her cheeks.

I tried to speak but it felt like I was choking. I had let her down. I was supposed to protect her and now I didn't know what to do. I felt lost. I looked at Chris and Daniel. Helplessness. That was all I found when I searched their faces for answers.