Chapter 24

Chapter 24  

Kyle's POV

"Shit! Jay can't you drive any faster? I will NOT lose them again!" I shouted.

"Bloody hell Kyle, the car can't go over 175 miles an hour! And trust me I don't want to lose them either but at this rate it's not going to matter how fast I drive, we're still not going to know where they're going!" Jay raged back at me.

I refrained from punching his lights out since he was driving and swivelled around to face Charlie who was sitting quietly in the back. He had his eyes closed and his forehead was creased in concentration.

Charlie must have sensed me watching him, "She's not using magic. I can't find her or track her like we did before."

I clenched and unclenched my hands really, really needing to hit something, "There must be something else you can do. A tracking spell or something? Come on Charlie you're all we've got to go on."

He leaned his head back thinking. Several minutes went past before his eyes widened and then grew dark.

"There is one way...............but I don't like it," Charlie said slowly.

"I don't care. We need to find them so what is it?" I replied still angry.

He frowned but explained, "It's very dark magic and the spell comes with a price. Once I do it and find out where she is I'm not going to be able to help in any form for who knows how long. The spell requires a lot of magic and after doing it I'm going to be wasted and probably pass out."

"Just find her and I'll do the rest, Charlie," I ordered. "Wait what does it actually do?"

"It's like a possession spell. I'll be able to take over her body for as long as I can hold on for. I'll be able to see through her eyes, sift through her memories and ask questions if I need to. An upside to this spell is that it won't only leave me vulnerable it will affect her too," evilness crept into his voice as he explained.

"What will it do?" I asked intrigued.

"She's not going to know what's happening when I start the spell and she's not going to be able to do anything once I'm in. But as soon as I'm done I think she might have figured out it was me. When I pull away from her body she's going to feel incredibly sick and the motion from the car will probably make her sick. She's going to be disorientated and dizzy. She's going to feel weak and it's the perfect opportunity to finally get our hands on her," Charlie replied smugly.

I smiled finally feeling like we were getting somewhere, "Do it. Now."

Josh's POV

"Where are we going?" I asked Daniel who was still driving way over the speed limit.

"Back to Calgary," Daniel replied as if it were obvious.

"Won't they expect we'd do that?" Jezebel questioned his answer.

"Probably, but we've got a head start and we'll just have to make sure we get there before they get to us," Daniel responded.

I opened my mouth to talk back but Jezebel put her hand on top of mine and shook her head. I sat back and closed my mouth. I don't know how Jezebel could just sit there and pretend that everything was ok. I just told her that basically her whole life was a lie and that I'd been lying to her for months and she is still sitting there. She still loves me. Still trusts me. Still believes in us.

I sighed loudly and rubbed my face with my hands. I felt Jezebel pull me towards her. It was ironic how she was the one who was really in trouble, whose life had been turned upside down, but she was the one keeping me together. I wrapped my arms around her and held the one thing I couldn't stand to lose as close as possible.

She whispered in my ear, "Josh, it's going to be o-"

She made a choking noise and I could feel her whole body tense up. I pulled away scared and looked for answers in her face. Her breathing had rapidly increased and she held out her hands like she could no longer see them. I looked at her expression of growing panic and then I saw her eyes. Usually a beautiful forest green (unless she's using magic, then they're gold) were turning ink black. The darkness was slowly spreading out from her pupils. She tried to say something but no noise came out of her moving mouth.

"Jezebel, wh-what's going on? Jez!" I shouted her name but, nothing.

Her face suddenly went slack, expression completely blank. I yelled her name a few more times causing Chris to turn around and realise something was wrong. Jezebel was staring off into space for ages before she gasped in a breath and looked around wildly.

I took her head in both of mine her eyes still all black, "Jezebel what happened? What's wrong?"

The questions didn't even seem to register to her, "Where are we? Where are we going? Are we on the highway?"

Chris replied carefully, "Jezebel we've been travelling on the Trans-Canada Highway heading east for nearly an hour. Remember we said we were going back to Calgary."

"We are?" she asked seriously.

I turned her head back to face me, "Jezebel what's going on with your eyes?"

"Huh? What are you talking about?" she asked suspiciously.

"Jez......the coloured bit of your eyes have gone black," I said slowly, something was seriously wrong.

I shot a look at Chris who was looking very worried. Out of nowhere she grabbed my arm her face insanely pale. She took a shuddering breath and closed her eyes. Her face contorted in pain and her eyes flew back open just in time for me to see the last of the darkness disappear from her eyes. She didn't move, didn't say a word. Her face was deathly pale and her eyes were kind of jumpy like they couldn't focus or something.

"Jez......what's going on?" I asked cautiously.

"P-p-pull over," her voice was so shaky.

Daniel kept driving. She raised an uncontrollably shaking hand to her mouth.

Eyes wide she said a little more forcefully, "Pull over, I'm going to be sick."

Daniel didn't budge until I shouted at him and then Chris still had to pull the steering wheel to the side to get him to pull over. Daniel quickly guided the car down a small trail down into a small clearing amongst the huge forest of trees.

Jezebel barely managed to get out of the car before she started to violently throw up whatever was in her stomach. The whole time her body was shaking and eventually her arms gave out beneath her. I clambered out of the car and to her side. We hadn't had time to eat much today so there was little for her to actually throw up but her body left her wretching beside the car.

I put her head in my lap and she looked up at me though unable to focus on me, "Jezebel, what's going on? What happened?"

Chris got out of the car and knelt down beside us. He laid a hand on her forehead and felt the clamminess of her skin. He looked over at me and I didn't need words to know that he was worried.

Jezebel gasped and managed to get out, "Th-they know," she stopped took a huge breath to try and calm her stomach, "They know where we are."

Kyle's POV

Charlie's body had slumped against the side of the car when the spell started to work and now he jerked up right. He gasped and looked around as if to make sure he was in the right place. He turned and looked directly at me.

"They're heading back to Calgary. In one car, it's gold. Stay on this highway and they should only be a few miles ahead. You'll catch them if you hurry," that was all Charlie said before his body when slack and his eyes fluttered closed.

"It's down to us now. If they are only a few miles ahead and they had to stop for her then we can catch them for sure," I said happily.

"You should call the boys in the other car and tell them to be ready," Jay put in.

"Good idea. That and their car is gold," I paused then amended my statement, "I'll also tell them that if any of them show any resistance the boys can just kill them. I won't lose her again. I don't care if it's my brother or Chris and Daniel, there will be no mercy."