Chapter 20

Chapter 20

It seemed as though Josh had something planned for every day. Our third day in Vancouver was apparently set aside for shopping. The only thing that Josh would tell me was that we were going out for dinner and he was going to buy me a dress. I argued back that if he'd told me in advance that we were going out to dinner and I needed a dress I would have brought one with me.

He then slyly replied that he didn't tell me because he wanted to make me go shopping so he could buy me a dress. I retorted that since we moved to America I had been given a large allowance and a credit card so I could buy my own dress. He just gave me a look like I wasn't going to get out of it and started to lead me down towards the car. Chris and Daniel followed in their car behind us until we reached the major shopping district.

The whole ride I tried to get out of Josh where we were going out for dinner but he wouldn't tell me anything. It was so frustrating and when I tried to get some information out of Chris and Daniel they wouldn't tell me anything either. I actually started to feel a little upset and angry because it was the same as nobody telling me why Kyle tried to take me. Along with that and the fact that Josh told me he wasn't buying anything for himself because he brought an outfit with him.

Everything just kind of got to me and I snapped, "Why are you doing this to me?"

Josh parked the car and took out the key. He turned to face me, "You're looking into this too much. I'm not telling you where we're going to dinner because I want it to be a surprise. I'm not telling you about the other stuff because I want to do it at the right moment. I don't want to do it too soon in case it ruins the holiday. Jezebel I'm doing what I think is best for you."

He sounded so sincere I had to blink back tears. I looked away from him kind of ashamed that I put the two things in the same category and that I suspected him of lying to me. There was a difference between the two things but it didn't really make me feel better. Josh got out of the car and walked around to my side. He opened the door and kneeled down in the doorway.

"Can I buy you a dress now?" Josh asked with a hint of a smile to his voice.

I looked at him glumly, "My last shopping trip didn't end well."

Josh grinned, "Is that a challenge?"

I raised my eyebrows in surprise, "Why are you so enthusiastic about going shopping?"

He helped me out of the car and then placed a hand on either side of my face, "Because you're a beautiful, caring girl and I want to buy my beautiful caring girl a dress. Is that such a crime?"

I laughed and he gave me a hug. I leaned my head on his shoulder and whispered, "I love you."

Josh froze but didn't have time to reply before Chris yelled, "Hurry up you two! You're both as slow as my grandmother and she's a hundred and thirteen!"

Josh pulled away and suddenly I wasn't sure if he'd heard me. I felt a twinge of sadness but tried to push it away and put on s happy face for Josh. What if he had heard me but he doesn't feel the same?

The rest of the day that one thought lingered in my mind while I tried on dress after dress. Actually trying on all the dresses wasn't so bad. This shopping trip was a lot better than the Halloween costume shopping I did with Carly and Courtney. Except for the fact that all of the dresses I tried on were extremely pretty and all of them fitted well, it just made it really hard to pick one. Josh wasn't much help either.

He said every time I put a new dress on that he liked it but it wasn't "the one". We breaked for lunch which I could tell Daniel and Chris were happy about, but obviously didn't last long enough for them. They groaned as we headed back for the last of the shops. Three shops in Josh announced that he had to go somewhere very quickly and would be back in second.