Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The kiss didn't last long enough, but it was sweet and exactly what I needed. After that neither of us were in the frame of mind to go back to class. For the rest of the day we stayed in the secluded room with the couches. We lay there on the couches for hours and Josh asked me how I'd gotten the cut on my arm. I explained about what happened on the roof with Carter and the whole time Josh sat quietly with a frown on his face.

Josh was spread out on a couch and I was curled up next to him on the same couch. My head lay on his chest and I was playing with his fingers. Josh, I could tell, was distracted by the whole Carter thing. Questions buzzed around my head and I desperately wanted to ask Josh, but he was lost in thought. For the time being I was quite happy to just lay there beside him in the tranquil silence.

Josh took me by surprise when he asked, "Why do you still trust me after all of that?"

I propped myself up on my elbow so I could look down at his face, "Because I think no one was supposed to tell me about anything and I don't think it was your fault. All the lies, you didn't make them."

He nodded and then said quietly, "You must have lots of questions...."

I sat up and moved to one end of the couch so I could have a better perspective of his expression. Josh sat up too but remained where he was. I sat there and thought about where to start. The question that bothered me the most seemed  like a good enough place being.

"Why wasn't anyone allowed to tell me the truth about what I am and what the school actually is?" I asked slowly.

Josh rubbed his face with his hand, "Jeez, ask the hard question first why don't you."

I bit my lip, "You don't know do you?"

Josh shook his head, "I don't know the actual reason why, I can only guess. There'd have to be more people involved in the decision than what we know. Miss Harlow would be one of the people because she's in charge of the school. Other than that, I think the main reason why nobody could tell you anything is because they, whoever they are, wanted you to settle in first. The timing had to be right."

I sat there quietly as I mulled over what Josh had told me. It sounded like he'd thought about it quite a bit and he still wasn't sure what the true answer was. 

"Ok then, how about the general legends of vampires and werewolves? I mean you're a vampire and you don't feel cold or you don't have red eyes and you're not super pale," I moved on to my next question.

Josh smiled as if he had been expecting the question, "Ok have you seen Twilight?"

I nodded.

He continued, "Well vampires do not sparkle in daylight nor do they burn. The whole thing about the sun is just an urban legend and 100% fake. Vampires are faster, stronger than humans and have heightened senses. Stakes made of wood do kill, so that's real."

He paused trying to think of anything else to add.

"Are you really 16 or are you actually 103 or something?" I asked sarcastically.

"Nah, I'm 16. But vampires are born not made. Well they can be made but it is sort of illegal. If a vampire makes a vampire from a human they're both killed. The royal family of the vampires created that law centuries ago so humans wouldn't get suspicious of our existence. Anyway, born vampires can choose when they want to stop aging. Quite a few vampires try to wait until they are over thirty before they stop aging. Most people can't do it though because the thirst for blood becomes too much and they take a human life, which is the other way for a vampire to stop aging," Josh stopped there so I had time to take in all the new information.