Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Five days after the Halloween Dance – November 5th

I was so comfortable but I opened my eyes anyway. I blinked slowly to clear the blurriness from my vision. I lay there on my back watching the dust motes dance in the sun light that was filtering through my curtains.  I peacefully followed the dust particles twist and turn on the flow of air. I turned my head from the dust to the right. My bedroom, that's odd. Why am I still in bed?

I clambered out of bed and stretched my arms and legs. I ran a hand through my hair and then walked into my wardrobe looking for some clothes. I had the sudden urge to go outside. I just wanted to go outside for some reason. I grabbed the first pair of shorts I saw and a white singlet and pulled them on.  I didn't bother with shoes or brushing my hair or my teeth. When I walked past my desk I spotted my phone and went back to get it and the earphones too.

Lazily I trudged downstairs and made my way to the backdoor. I looked around but it seemed as if no one was home. This slightly distracted me and I ended up making a round of the house to see if anyone was actually home. Nope. I shrugged and went back to the door and opened it. I stood at the now closed backdoor breathing in the fresh beach air. I walked down the stairs to the beach and wriggled my toes in the sand.

I rubbed my eyes absently and pulled out my earphones. Plugging them into my iPhone and then putting it on shuffle. I stuck the phone into one of the front pockets of my denim shorts and started walking aimlessly down the beach. I didn't really have a purpose for being on the beach I just had the need to be out on the there.

There weren't many people on this part of the beach seeing as it backed onto private and expensive houses. I walked along the beach at a snail's pace not really watching where I was going. I wasn't close to the water but my eyes were hypnotized by the sparkling blue ocean water. After around ten minutes of walking I came across a little grassy mound with a couple of palm trees. I felt tired even though I had just gotten up so I went over and sat down.

Sitting with my back to the tree and leaning my head against the tree I stared off into the distance at nothing in particular. I sleepily fiddled with the cord of the earphones and relaxed in the shade of the palm tree. The music lulled me into a very still and calm sitting position. I felt like I was sleeping with my eyes open and my ears working. It seemed tranquillity had encompassed me and it never occurred to me that something was wrong. That I felt wrong.

Jezebel. My head snapped up as I swear I heard my named being whispered in a gravelly voice. I pulled my phone back out and paused the music. Pulling out the earphones I glanced around curiously. Just as I was beginning to think I was hearing things the voice came again. Jezebel. My breath caught in my throat and my heart started to pound hard in my chest. I swear that the voice wasn't speaking out loud. The voice was from inside my head.

I drew in a ragged breath and looked from side to side but didn't see anyone. Jezebel. The voice sent shivers down my spine. Standing up quickly I shoved my phone back in my pocket and was about to head back to the house when a branch snapped. I froze with my foot about to leave the ground.

"Wait," a completely different voice said from behind me.

I knew it was a male voice but I didn't recognise it at all. Slowly I turned around when I probably should have kept walking. I was surprised to see a handsome young man somewhere in his late teens or early twenties. He reminded me of someone but I couldn't think of who right at that moment. I took a shaky breath and swallowed hard. He held up his hands as if to calm me down and took a tentative step towards me.

"Woah, just calm down I'm not going to hurt you. I just wanna talk," the guy said trying to reassure me.

I took a step back but there was just something about this guy that compelled me to stay and hear him out.