Chapter 41 - "He is all that matters to me"

"Wake up, its Christmas! Wake up, Aunt Ally" I feel little hands shake me as the voice of a small boy hits my ear. I shuffle in my sheets and turn around to the sight to my 5 year old nephew, Andrew. He grins widely when he sees that I am awake. I sit up in bed and pick him up in my arms. He sits on my lap with his blond hair neatly combed. He is dressed in his red sweater and black trousers. The excitement kids have for Christmas!

"I have to go and wake up everybody else. Why do big people wake up early for school and not for Christmas? You don't know it, do you?" I shake my head pursing my lips. "I thought so. No one knows. There's so much to do. Get ready quickly so we can open our presents by the Christmas Tree we decorated yesterday. And wear red. Santa likes it" He finishes with a huge grin. His Australian accent is so adorable, I would listen to him talking the entire day. I just nod and set him down as he runs out the room. I am usually very bad with children but this one has a piece of my heart.

Like all my other mornings start since the day Nathan left me, I check my phone to see if there's any message or call that I missed from him. But there's not one missed call. My heart sinks and I feel the tears building again. I never knew I had a talent to cry so well until these last 3 days. All I do, the entire day is keep crying. I cry when I wake up, I cry after breakfast, I cry when I sleep, I cry every time I do something because I cannot do anything without thinking of him. I have locked myself up since the past 3 days. Thankfully, no one has noticed my unusually sad behaviour. Everyone is so caught up in the preparations of tonight's party to notice me. I call Nathan but he doesn't pick up. I finally send him a 'Merry Christmas' message and step down to get ready for the day.

~*~*~*~*~

I pick up a glass of wine for myself and join my family in the discussions. I have received quite a few compliments on my dress. It feels like I am making a public appearance after ages. I finally managed to get myself together and get out of my room, for the first time in 3 days. I put on a fake smile, very easily because that's something I've been doing all my life. The party was actually meant to be carried out in the backyard but its snowing so the plans were canceled and all of my 56 family members are now in the great hall! Who knew I had such a huge family! For the first time in my 17 years, I have seen them all under one roof. I know they wouldn't have done it even now but because of the huge party tonight, which will have businessmen from all around the world and hence a chance to make and improve contacts, all of them are present. I sit down on the sofa, with the wine glass as few others sit around, some others standing around and the rest of them enjoying the snow outside. Kate didn't come because she is busy sightseeing Paris with her friends at the moment. She invited me but I don't want to leave my house. I see Andrew running around the halls with a toy plane he got. As soon as he sees me, he comes running up to me.

"Hey there!" I set my wine glass aside and ruffle his hair. He frowns at that. "Santa gave you that?"

"Yes. Uncle Bob said, it'd take me anywhere I want to go. So I'm going to go meet Aunt Kate. Are you coming?" He puts on a little helmet. I shake my head and a look of disappointment crosses his face.

"I thought you are sad because Aunt Kate isn't here." Kids really do see the truth behind the smile, don't they?

"Are you missing someone? I can take you to meet them" And that is all it took for the tears to come again. I quickly wipe them away and kiss Andrew's cheek.

"Will you take me to meet Nathan?" I ask as I sheepishly smile and he nods.

"But you'll have to show me the way" He says and his tiny hands hold mine. "And you have to promise me that you won't be sad after I take you to Mr. Nathan" He says in his Australian accent and nothing can cheer my heart more than he did. I nod, smiling through my tears and he asks me to get up. I quickly get my car keys and along with my little saviour, rush out to the garage. I buckle him up in the passenger seat and he puts his helmet on again. I cannot help but smile. I hop into the driver's seat and we drive off to Bedford Avenue.