Chapter 39 - "Am I going to regret this?"

Its almost 4 in the evening now. Dad has gone off to our office in New York and Mom & Aunt are off to do some Christmas shopping. They invited me to join them but I refused saying I needed a break. Long story short, mom and dad want to spend this Christmas with all of us together and so they'll leave after New Years. Hopefully, without me. I sit on my bed waiting for Nathan to call but it seems like he doesn't remember that he promised something to do today. I call him instead and he doesn't pick up.

Eighth ring. Ninth ring. Tenth ring.

He has never done this. He'd always pick up by fourth ring tops. The phone continued to ring and he still didn't pick up. The call ended and I called him one more time, but in vain. I threw it on the bed and got up, pacing back and forth in the room.

What if they want me to go back with them? I am not ready for taking over the company anytime soon. Okay maybe I am, but I still need time to sort things out with Nathan because I know, its either Nathan or London. He had suggested we could try long distance relationship for a while, but that isn't something I'm up for. It just doesn't make sense to me. He is not ready to move to London, either. He wants to stay here, in the USA. The only thing I see ahead of me, is leaving Nathan and starting a new life in London. But I think its too late for that. Its too late for me to leave Nathan. I'm not going to be able to do that.

The phone starts ringing, bringing me out of my thoughts. I pick it up and see the caller ID. Candice.

"Hey there! How are you?" She seems very happy about something.

"Very fine, thank you. What makes you call me on this beautiful wintry evening?" I smile smugly.

"We were planning on going out tonight. You know, have burgers and go bowling and get beers. Just get wasted tonight.'' Whoa! That's not something I do.

"Its not in my comfort zone" I say plainly.

"Suck it up, Ally. We are going. Be ready by 7. I'll be there" She hangs up on that and I roll my eyes. I try calling Nathan one more time but he still doesn't answer. So I give up.

~*~*~

The evening was fun. A lot more fun than what I'd imagined. There were 15 of us and whenever we posed for a group selfie, people would throw annoying looks at us. Jule and I had a very great time and that was something I was very happy about. I was upset over breaking his trust and his heart but he forgave me so easily, it broke my heart even more. Why did he have to be so nice? I apologized again and again and at a point he got so frustrated, he shouted at me to stop saying 'sorry'. We were together the entire evening and I looked at all the passing girls, suggesting him if any of them were good enough. All in all, it was fun to be with Jule like earlier days and I could not have asked for a better friend.

When I returned, everyone was around the table, having dinner. It was a very nice sight because its very rare that we get together. I'd have joined them, even though I was very full, but I did not because I was smelling of beer. No, it wasn't like I got tipsy or anything but that isn't how I'd like to show up. So I just waved them goodnight and went straight to my room. Without caring to change into my PJs, I plopped myself on the bed and closed my eyes.

I was having a silent moment to myself when the phone started ringing again. Finally!

"You got time for me now?" I speak into the receiver, giving out the 'annoyed' voice.

"I'm sorry. I had to go over to my grandparent's place. There was a problem but its fine now. I'm sorry, cupcake. I know I promised to-"

"Its fine," I say sleepily "I went out with a bunch of my friends. Its cool" I think I'm sleep-talking.