Chapter 19: Makes Me Feel Alive.

*Rory's POV*

"Lately, I've been, I've been losing sleep..."

My mouth gaped open at the little CD player. One of the soldiers had found it on the street. Another had found a CD that wasn't completely wrecked. At the moment we were in the middle of the road, crowed in a circle just staring at the poor thing. 

"Dreaming about the things that we could be. But baby, I've been, I've been praying hard."

The music wasn't all clear but I knew it when I heard it. It sounded strange since I haven't had the luxury to listen for quite some time.  

"Said, no more counting dollars. We'll be counting stars, yeah we'll be counting stars."

The song ended and we all just continued to stare at the player hoping for more. 

"Alright, lets move!" A voice yelled from the back of the pack. 

Everyone groaned but returned to putting all their gear on.  

Lifting up my pant leg I shoved a knife in the sock. 

"Don't stab yourself." 

Rolling my eyes I looked over at a smiling Andrew. He was loading guns, of which kind? I had no clue, they blew zombies heads off so that was good enough for me. 

"Wouldn't dream of it." I replied looking down at the dog that seemed to follow Andrew around everywhere. He says the dog is mocking him. I think the dog just likes to see Andrew blow up. It's actually quite amusing.

Andrew smiled a little but it faltered. He looked deep into my eyes, making sure I wasn't thinking about stabbing myself. His concern was probably from when I tried to turn into a zombie. Yeah.... I forgot about that. He was also probably making sure I didn't fall to the floor in another panic attack... Well, I have a lot of fucked up qualities at the moment. 

"Thought of a name yet?" I asked nodding to the dog.

"Douche." Andrew said while Chase walked over to us.

"No it's not." Chase said glaring at him.

"I think it suits him perfectly." Andrew replied matter-of-factly . He even had his arms crossed and was leaning on one hip. Sometimes I really wondered if he was gay. 

"His name will be chazé."

"Uz what?" Andrew asked raising an eyebrow. 

"Uh-za." Chase replied sounding it out.

I looked at Chase like, you fucking idiot. 

"It means No Fear in Greek" He glanced over at us smugly.

"Chase?" I asked crossing my arms at his stupidness.

"Huh?"

"It means Dumb ass in Greek, dumb ass" 

He looked at me like, what type of crazy pills are you on?

"I had a friend from Greece and she would always call Leo that." I explained, my speech stumbling a little near the end but I just tried to shrug it off.

"I took Greek in High School so I think I know what I'm talking about." 

"You failed that class." 

"I tried ok? That class was fucking difficult!" 

I held up my hands in mock surrender before looking over my shoulder at the soldier telling us it was getting time to leave. 

We all gathered around in a circle again but this time a map was in the middle.

"So what's the plan?" Andrew asked while leaning forward onto the map.

One soldier looked at his silent comrades before sighing and speaking up. 

"The facility is about 4 miles from here. It's surrounded by other random buildings. What we should do is split up into 2 teams so we can cover more ground faster. Since Rory and Chase have already been there, they will lead the teams. Also it's probably best to refrain from using any guns since they are loud and I'm guessing there is going to be a fuck load of zombies in there."

"Then how are we supposed to kill them?" One soldier asked. The others nodded at the question clearly wondering the same thing.

Andrew dragged his fingers down his face, "You have got to be shitting me." he said through his fingers. "Just use knifes and stuff. Make sure to chop off their heads so they die faster and don't get back up later." 

"Exactly." The lone soldier said. 

Looking closely at his suit I saw the little name tag. Pvt. Wars it read. That is an awesome name. 

"We also have walkie-talkies so we can communicate to each other. Unless further noticed, both groups will met back here in 2 days." Pvt. Wars explained further. He looked into everyone's eyes before taking a deep breath.

"Rory, You will be Lima-Oscar-Sierra-Tango. Everyone who's last name is before those will be with her." 

Half of the people rose their hands to show they were coming with me. 

"Chase, You are Delta-Uniform-Mike-Bravo. Everyone else gets to go with you. Including Andrew."

Andrew huffed and kicked the ground. 

"Our code name sucks." he mumbled to Chase. Chase just sighed and nodded slowly. 

"Everyone get ready, we leave in 5." Pvt. Wars leaned away from the table and walked away.

Running to catch up with him, I tapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey, who are you with?" I asked.

"You." he replied simply before sitting on a stone lane divider thing. 

I nodded and turned back to leave but was stopped when Pvt. Wars called out to me.

"You know that not everyone is going to come back." 

Looking down at the ground still not facing him I sighed. "I know." 

"Well, I hope you really do. Things can go extremely wrong on these types of missions in the blink of an eye." 

"And you're saying..?" 

"Just be ready."

"You don't need to be worried. I was ready the day my brother died. Those things have taken enough from me, It's time to retaliate." 

Wars raised an eyebrow at me.

"It's just like that song said. Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive." 

He smiled slightly and nodded. 

"Rory!" 

Turning away from pulling on a glove I looked at Chase who had just ran up to me. His dark hair was stuck to his forehead in sweat but it seemed like he couldn't care less. The dog was also running behind Chase. Oh yeah, correction, chazé was running after Chase. Dumbass...

"Are you sure you want to go?" Chase asked quietly

"Why wouldn't I?" 

He just looked at me, clearly not convinced. 

"Chase, I'm fine." I replied slightly annoyed. I knew when it was time to back out and right now, was clearly not the right time.

"I'm just worried, please could you just stay? I really don't want anything to happen to you." 

"Chase, I owe it to them."

"Them who?" 

"Rachel, Leo, I am not giving up right now and I don't plan on it. I finally have a reason to keep going Chase. Let me go."