Chapter 12: The Douche.

*Andrew's POV*

The girls walked away, not talking at all to each other. Chase looked over at me and shivered. Shaking his head, he sighed. "I have a really bad feeling."

I nodded and turned to start walking the opposite direction, "Me too."

We stayed silent, searching the halls for cars and zombies.

CRASH

Chase and I had our guns out and ready, facing where the noise came from. 

A dog walked from behind the wall and stopped to look at us. It cocked it's head and wagged it's tail. The dog was a border collie, it was mostly black with white on it's stomach. The poor thing was stick thin and it's fur hung off it in dirt strands.

Chase looked at it and put his gun down. He crouched, "Hey, Buddy!" He called and the dog happily came over to Chase.

I waved my gun at Chase, "That thing could be infected!" 

Chase rolled his eyes, continuing petting the dog. "Yes, and he is right about to eat my face."

I huffed and sighed, "He could have fleas!"

Chase stood up and looked at me sternly, "I'm keeping the dog."

With that he turned around and the dog followed him. It almost seemed like the dog smirked at me. What a douche.

Running after Chase and the douche, I continued calling to him to rethink keeping the dog. 

Chase stopped before a SUV and looked impressed. I, myself, knew absolutely nothing about cars. So I had no idea if that SUV was a good one or not. It was black and looked like it could hold a bunch of crap. While Chase on the other hand looked like he would very gladly marry the thing.

Gasping Chase ran his hand over the car.

I ran my hand through my hair and sighed, "Well, enough drooling lets see if the car works" 

Chase rolled his eyes and opened the door. He found the key and started it up. Surprisingly enough it came to life. Chase looked to be in heaven. Honestly, he was a period away from fan-girling. 

"Mother of god." Chase mumbled while looking at the inside. He stepped out of the car, turning it off.

"There is almost absolutely no gas in it." Chase said before I could ask.

"Ah." I nodded and glared at the dog again.

"I saw a gas station outside right beside the mall." Chase said.

"Alright lets go."

We got there without a problem and go back without a hitch. Weird.

Chase went to fill up the car with the jerry can while I leaned against the car talking to the douche.

"Stop staring at me like that." I scolded at him. 

The dog just continued staring.  

"What do you want?" 

Stare.

"Fuck off."

Stare.

"You're a douche you know."

Stare.

"Your name is now Douche."

The dog made a snorting sound and it walked away toward Chase.

"Stop torturing my dog." Chase said while getting into the driver side.

Rolling my eyes I hoped into the passenger side and waited for Chase to get going.

"How do we get out of the mall?" I asked

Chase shrugged and made to car go through some glass to get outside.

"WE COULD HAVE JUST WENT TO THE BACK TO THE UNLOAD PLACE THING!" I screamed at him.

Chase smirked and shrugged, "Too late now."

The ride to the south door took forever since Chase's sense of direction was completely different then normal people's. 

Rory was already there sitting on an outside bench, leaning over with her face covered. There was 4 backpacks around her but no sign of Rachel.

Chase honked at Rory and she looked up. I got out to help her load the bags into the car. Her face was red and it was clear she had been crying.

"Where's Rachel?"  I asked while opening the trunk.

Rory closed her eyes and took a deep breath, she turned to face me. She was about to say something before she started to sob.

"I killed her." she said through the tears. Dropping to the floor and hugging her knees to her, she rocked back and forth.

"It's all my fault." She closed her eyes. 

*Rory's POV*

The process of turning into a zombie is almost unbearable. First you get bitten.

If you're lucky the zombie that bite you will just get up and leave you to bleed out and let the infection take over. You will seizure and in about 4 minutes you will no longer have any control over your actions. But if your unlucky the zombie will most likely eat you alive. To be honest, I still have no idea how luck would be on your  side if you turned into an infected. It's a question that baffled me and Rachel since the beginning of this epidemic. I would much rather turn into a zombie then get eaten alive since I don't want to end my life with monsters surrounding me. Rachel would on the other hand, much rather die then become something that she had no control over. She kept true to her belief since, about 4 years ago she made me promise that if I could stop her getting transformed, I had to. HAD TO. No exceptions. No crying over her dead body. Just so that she wouldn't become something she wasn't, and I followed through. It was the ONE thing she wished for every time I talked to her. That was the single wish she wanted to be granted... and I did it... I did it. 

Andrew sat beside me and put his arm around my shoulders. My face was turned into his chest and I couldn't stop crying. 

Chase came over to me after a little and scoped me up. The boys had a silent stare down before Andrew backed down and went to sit in the car. Chase brought me to the backseat and buckled me up. Kissing my head, he patted something next to me. 

I turned to face what he was petting. A dog sat beside me. It turned it's head to the side quickly before it lied down on my lap. The car started and everything was silent except for my loud cries. The boys didn't ask anything while driving. They were silent and I was grateful for that. 

Leaning my head on the window, I choked on yet another sob. What have I just done?