Chapter 13: On My Own Terms.

*Rory's POV*

The car was silent, Everything was silent. Even the dog could tell that something was wrong. We all tried to not think about what just happened. The boys didn't know what occurred but I'm glad they didn't ask. I would probably burst into more tears.

We were moving fast since the speed limit isn't really enforced around here anymore. It didn't really matter through. No matter how far away I got, I would still remember. Leaning my head on the window, I let the tears roll down my face. It matched the other side of the window. It was raining and gloomy the farther we went. Like the storm was just building up around us. Following us. Torturing and reminding us. 

"Where did you get the dog?" I asked after not being able to stand the silence anymore. To be honest, silence is probably the scariest sound. It gives away nothing and holds nothing. Absolutely nothing.   

The boys let out a breath of relief before Chase answered, " We found him while looking for the car."

I nodded and continued to pet the dog on my lap. "What's it's name?" 

"I don't know." Chase said at the same time Andrew said, "Douche."

Glaring at Andrew, Chase scowled at him, "My dog's name is not Douche."

Andrew just argued that it fit him. The boys fought back and forth for awhile. They both got louder as it progressed, but I didn't mind. Anything was better then silence. 

We had covered about 6 hours of distance before we all climbed out of the car. Sighing we looked at the places to sleep for the night. There was a gas station that we quickly decided on. 

Quietly we broke in. I unrolled my sleeping bag. Automatically just wanting to sleep off this day. Pretending that nothing had happen. That I just hadn't killed my friend. 

The boys gave each other knowing looks before following my lead. The dog bounced over to me. He curled up to my side and I petted him. I never was a dog person but then again not quite a cat person either. I liked both.

Once everything was silent and I knew for sure the boys were asleep, I got out of my bed and walked to the door. Opening it quietly I tried not to wake them. They didn't even stir. Sighing in relief, I walked away from the gas station and onto the high way. I didn't know where I was going but I just knew that I needed to leave.

 I had no idea whether I was going to come back either. That thought should have scared me but strangely it didn't. The boys would be fine without me. We were all going to die anyways so might as well do it on my own terms. With that I walked in the direction that looked promising. I didn't even shed a tear or bat an eye at the idea of leaving Andrew and Chase. They would be fine, I told myself. Probably better without a silent Rory with them. Nodding my head I walked for what seemed like forever. It was a quiet night and there was probably a lot of zombies out. Oh well, I guess turning into one of those wouldn't be so bad. I mentally shrugged at the thought of being infected. 

Walking was making me sleepy or well it should be but yet I felt nothing. It's always like this was someone dies. I always go numb. First my parents then Leo now Rachel. It's funny since I knew that Leo had the biggest crush on Rachel. Laughing to myself I looked at the sky above.

"Guess you're both in a better place now." I screamed facing upwards. "Don't worry guys! I'll be joining you soon!"

 Up the road ahead I saw a lonely zombie. I giggled happily.

 "About fucking time you showed up!" I yelled at it. The zombies head popped up and looked at me. It was about 30 feet away from me.

It twitched it's way toward my no longer moving body. I just stood there. Waiting for it to come to me. I think dying by a zombie would be better then killing myself. Seemed like an easier explanation. Infected is what rules this world now. Might as well join.