Chapter 10: The Right Choice

*Rachel's POV*

Tapping my fingers on the glass, I sighed. It was gloomy and raining at the moment. Everyone was sleeping still, so I just went and sat on the seat near the window. I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't see a sunrise or something. 

"Why are you up?" Rory asked, sitting next to me.

I shrugged "No reason, just... woke up earlier then normal."

She sat beside me and rested her head on the window. She closed her eyes and started to breath deeply. I can see just from her actions that she was stressed about something.

"You know, Chase likes you, Like likes you." 

She looked at me surprised before closing her eyes again and sighing. "I wish he didn't."

"Why?"

"It would make everything easier."

I laughed. "You know, when I was young my mom always told me that, the right choice is NEVER the easiest one."

She turned to face me, finally opening her eyes. "How can you be so sure?"

I shrugged, "My mom, she was a very smart lady, I would take her advice to heart."

"Where is she now?" Rory asked while closing her eyes once again.    

"I don't know." I replied sadly. "When my parents got divorced I moved in with my dad. Never got the chance to speak to my mom again so she just disappeared." 

She nodded sadly.

Silence.

"I was 10 when my parents died. My brother was 15. I remember going to sleep that night. Being tucked in by my mom. Her telling me that she would be back around 1am. Her and dad wanted to go do something fun. I remember her saying I love you and leaving. She forgot to turn my lamp on so it was dark. I was so mad at her. I was terrified of the dark so I ended up just staying awake the whole night. I remember Leo being downstairs, on the computer when there was a knock on the door. I couldn't hear the voices so I got out of bed and crawled to the door.  I was so proud of myself. I wanted to tell my mom what I had done. 

I remember hearing those words and already knowing something was wrong. Are you Leo Cross... I remember everything going silent. The world a blur and just me sitting in the hallway. I remember footsteps coming towards me. I remember looking up at brother and seeing tears in his eyes. And now... the only thing I want more then anything is to forget." 

There was no tears on her face. No pained expression. Just emptiness.  Rory was empty from any emotion. 

We both remained silent after that. We didn't talk about our past. We didn't speak. We just.. confided with the silence we had. 

 The boys woke up a little while later and we left the house. 

Nobody talked during the walk to the city's center. We stayed silent, it wasn't an awkward silence though. No one felt a need to fill it. It was comfortable. 

We arrived at the mall in about 2 hours of walking around. It was just a tiny mall but a mall nonetheless.

"We should split up." I said "Cover more distance."

Andrew gave me a look, "There is always one person who suggested the spliting up routine and then they all end up died."  

Rory snorted, "I agree but I don't think we have an option here. 2 of us will go look for food and supplies and the other 2 the car. We'll meet at the south doors in 2 hours?"

Everyone nodded their agreement. "Alright, I'll go with Rory." Andrew spoke up.

"No, I'm going with Rory." Chase said, staring Andrew down. The alpha males had for the most part been able to keep the testosterone low but they needed to butt heads every once and awhile. I guess.

They fought for a little before I interjected, "Hi, yeah, thanks guys, love you too, but anyways, I'm going with Rory." 

Chase and Andrew both mumbled responses which both included a very colourful sort of swears.

 Me and Rory just laughed at them and said that we would look for the supplies and they could find the car. They both looked a little better since they got the "Manlier" job.

"Alright, 2 hours start now,"   I said before following Rory to the Wal-Mart part of the mall.