Chapter 11: Lucky Charms

*Rory's POV*

We walked our separate ways and it was quite quiet.

Finding Wal-Mart was easy, getting in was a whole different story. I ended up just throwing a chair at the glass. It worked but still made a lot of unwanted noise. 

The store only had a few of it's light that flickered. Since this area is close to the camp it was evacuated not too long ago. It was dark, making the whole place scream Bad Idea.

"Alright, lets hurry up and find shit so we can leave." Rachel said heading in the direction of the camping stuff.

We grabbed 4 backpacks, a hunting rifle and knifes (lots of them, they were quiet and easy to carry so, why not?)

Walking down the food aisles we grabbed anything that might not be spoiled. 

"Hey look." Rachel said shoving a box in my face.

I moved away from the too close box and looked at her, "Lucky Charms?"

She nodded excitedly and squished them in her backpack. I laughed at her eagerness, it's like she is 9 sometimes.

GAWR GAWR

We both stopped walking and turned around slowly. There stood one zombie facing the other way. Since we were right at the other end of the aisle we just ran for cover. 

"Holy shit." Rachel whispered.

I made an indication with my hands to tell her to the shut up and she rolled her eyes.   

I looked closer at the zombie and gasped. It's figure resembled a person but it's face and body had, budges everywhere. It was foaming at the mouth and keep cracking it's neck.

"What is that?" I gasped.

Rachel looked at the thing and gasped along with me. "I don't know." 

We both looked at each other and slowly crept away, hoping to not let the "thing" know where we were. 

Rachel was near the aisle and knocked over a can. We both held our breath, watching the can roll closer to the fucked up infected.

The thing made lots of inhumane noises and ran over to us. Looking at each other we both got up and booked it, clearly seeing that the thing had spotted us and there was no way to hide anymore. 

There was a piecing scream that filled the Wal-Mart. It sounded like someone was being tortured. After that, followed a whole bunch of scream. Each sounding a little different then the other. 

Almost falling over while running we made our way to the front doors.

"That sounds like hundreds of infected." Rachel said still running behind me. "There was no one here when we came!!"

"One must of walked in and alerted others in the area."

She visibly shivered and kept running. I turned to go one way and Rachel ran forward.

She turned the corner up ahead and screamed. I quickly followed her to the place she ran to. "Why didn't you follow me?" I whisper shouted.

I bit my lip to stop from screaming at the sight. Rachel had a infected behind her and it was currently sinking it's teeth into her neck.

I brought out my knife and aimed for the hand that was over Rachel. Throwing it straight to it's target the infected let go and snarled. 

Rachel collapsed to the ground, twitching and shaking .

I took the rear end of the hunting rifle and hit the infected, it's head cracked and rolled off it's body falling to the floor. 

I shivered and ran over to Rachel's side. She was throwing up blood and her eyes were bloodshot. Pressing a knife into my hand, she looked at me pleadingly. 

" I.. don't.. want... to.. turn." She said through coughs, each bringing up more blood then the other.  

"Don't do this!" I begged her but I knew it was no hope. The infected would take her over and zombies were closing in.

Shaking away her own tears, she brought her shaking hand to mine. "Please." 

After a few minutes of silence I finally nodded and shook the tears off my face.

"I'm so sorry!" I whaled while pressing the knife into her. Once the knife touched skin it was like I was in a trance. My body moved but I couldn't feel or even think. I was numb, blocking out my emotions and trying to focus on getting out of Walmart. 

Quickly getting up, I grabbed all the backpacks. Scolded myself while running to the front doors. I should have been there faster. My vision blurred from the tears.

Once I got out of the store, with only having to kill 2 more infected, I ran to go find where the boys went, stumbling with every step.