Chapter 2: Silently Closer

5 Years Later.

*Chase's POV*

Walking down the aisles I looked at the chick in the other one. She had a nasty scar on her back that made me want to vomit. Shaking my head I went to the counter and put my purchases there. Lifting my card, the guy looked everything over.

"Flowers?" He asked smugly.

I smiled and leaned over the till. Grabbing his collar and pulling his face toward my face. I glared at him. "How about you just look over the purchases and let me leave?" I said in a sickly low voice.

The poor guy nodded quickly and I pushed him away. His breath reeked of garbage. I hastily took the flowers and left.

Kicking the rocks on the ground, I hummed to myself. The city was such a dump. Graffiti covered the walls and there was always littler everywhere you looked.

I walked toward the line to the other side of the city. Since I was on the outskirts I had to go through the 1-2 check-stops. Even the suppliers didn't want to go through the city.

The line moved very slowly. Took maybe 20 minutes to get even to the front.

"Open." The officer commanded me.

I rolled my eyes and opened my mouth.

He grabbed a flashlight from his belt and shone it into my eyes.

"Clear." He pushed me forward into the deeper parts of the check-stop. They asked the same questions as before when I was passing through the other way. When they were finally done I was ushered to the other side of the fortress. Sighing I glanced at my watch.

Fuck, they are going to kill me. I ran toward my house that unfortunately was way too long of a run away.

I got there in 10 minutes tops. I slowly opened the door, not wanting to make loud noises.

"Chase?" a voice said from the living room.

Damn, that girl had eagle hearing.

"Yes?" I asked stepping to see the 2 girls. Rachel had her arms crossed. Her hair was pulled back and she had dark circles under her eyes.

Rory was smiling, clearly enjoying that I was going to get in trouble.

"You are late!" Rachel accused standing from her lawn chair to point at me.

"Sorry, you know those check-stops can have a long wait." I replied sinking into the chair beside Rory.

"It's the 2nd year anniversary and you're making excuses!" She mumbled before running to the kitchen. Probably to cry.

I winced in pain from the reminder. Looking over at Rory, I saw she was calm.

"How can you do that?" I asked, staring at her in amazement.

"Do what?"

"Act so calm..."

She sighed and her breathe hitched. "He wouldn't want me to be mopping around."

I nodded in reply. "It's hard not to."

A single tear ran down her face before she quickly wiped it away. "Yea, you get those flowers?"

I nodded and held them up. She smiled, taking them to the window sill where she placed them down and moved her chair to stare at them. I moved beside her.

Grabbing a flower and picking it's stem off, I held the flower part in my hand. Rory did the same and called Rachel to do that as well. We all stared at the flower in our hands. Mine was white and looked like a daisy.

Taking a deep breath, Rory opened the window. There was a slight breeze but nothing too forceful. She held her flower right out the window.

"For Leo." She whispered before dropping the flower. It glided with the wind out of sight.

Rachel and I did the same before deciding to go to sleep.

I tossed and turned for hours before getting up and sitting in the chair in the living room. Staring at the empty vase and glancing at the night sky. You couldn't see any stars though. The search lights that were everywhere made sure of this.

There was a creak behind me and before I could even breathe I was out of the chair and had a gun drawn.

Rory stood there looking at me sadly. Lowering the gun she walked over to me. I put my arms around her as she cried silently into my chest.

"Can I sleep with you?" She asked quietly.

I nodded, leading her to my room.

She immediately crawled to the far side of the bed and faced away from me. I got in and faced toward her. Wrapping my arm around her waist I pulled her closer. She fell asleep and I soon fell asleep to the sound of her breathing. No nightmares.