Chapter 18: An Emotion.

*Chase's POV*

I hate when she was right. Nothing we could say would make Trevor change his mind about our departure. It didn't help that Rory literally didn't care when we left.

Which lead to the 3 of us cramped on a tight airplane with 7 other guys. The thing about this plane was it was their last one so obviously it was the worst one they could get. Also it was slower then most planes so it was going to take around a day to get to the research factuality. A. Fucking. Day.

Groaning out loud I glanced at the other passengers. They all looked like soldiers, but definitely didn't act like them. One was drooling in his sleep while two other "soldiers" pushed the end of a gun up his nose. Un. Fucking. Believable. My life was in the hands of these people. Shriving slightly I sighed. Whatever, I don't mind dying really.

"Hey." Andrew tapped my shoulder and pointed at the sleeping guy with a gun hanging out of his nose.

I nodded. "I know..."

Andrew shook his head sadly but smiled a little. "It's kind of nice."

I stared at him like he had grown a third head. "Making someone only smell gunpowder for the rest of his life?"

Andrew laughed but shook his head. "Laughing, at someone else's expense. It's a nice break from crying."

I smiled at him. "Yeah."

We stayed silent for a little before he broke the silence. "So how did you met Rory?"

"I was her brother's best friend. Leo and I were inseparable. He was kind of like the family I never had, you know?"

Andrew gave me a confused look.

"I was a foster kid."

He nodded sadly. "Ah, I see"

I smirked a little. It was nice to just talk for a little. We made small chat for awhile longer before deciding to sleep for the rest of the ride.

Crunched up in my seat, I laid wide awake. Everyone else had drifted off about 30 minutes ago. Rotating in my seat for the hundredth time I quietly screamed in frustration. Why do these seats have to be so fucking uncomfortable?

Finally deciding that I was getting no where I sat up and looked out of a small window.

We left to camp at noon and had been in the plane, flying for a long time. At the moment it was sunset.

The sun was just a little ball on the horizon. It looked so small.

Sighing a little I stared out at the slowly sinking ball of fire.

The thing about fear is it makes you feel isolated. You are completely alone. Submerged into your own anxiety. You suffocate in the depths. Never truly coming up for breath. People's life's move around you but yet, yours is somehow at a stand still.

When you think about fear really, no one knows what it is exactly. It's just an emotion. A very powerful emotion that can lead you to do crazy things. If you were listing all of your accomplishments how many of them can you really say were out of courage? Fear motivates people. But also can rip them to shreds.

*Rory's POV*

Opening my eyes I blinked. It was still dark out. I shifted in my seat and looked around. Everyone was still sleeping. Either curled up on a chair or stretched out on the floor. One guy was snoring so loudly I swear the zombies on the ground below could hear him. Throwing my hands up I sighed, that snoring was probably what woke me up.

"You're awake."

I jumped at the voice and turned towards it. Chase sat on the opposite side of the plane. He was staring out the window with a "deep in thought" type of expression.

We were quiet for a few moments before Chase sighed loudly.

"You know I went on a plane ride once before this." He stated still gazing out the small window.

"Oh really?" I replied bringing my sleeves down to cover my hands. Fuck, it was cold.

"Yeah, I made sure to get a window seat since it was a night trip. The lights of the cities below were amazing. It was like a reverse night sky. Man-made stars."

I turned toward the window. Sighing as well. There were no clouds or fog but even though, there were no lights. Darkness covered the ground.

"You ever heard of an Inukshuk?" he asked.

I shifted my gaze to stare blankly back at him.

Chuckling slightly at my lack-of-knowledge-ness, he fixed his gaze back and forth in the window.

"They are basically Inuit, so Alaska, landmarks. These big ass rocks all fit together to show direction. They actually kind of look like a human. In snow storms these rocks would help people find their way to their village."

Nodding slowly I lowered my gaze.

Looking back at me he laughed humorlessly. "Sadly, there is no snow. And there is no Inukshuk. And there definitely, is no direction."

"How are you so sure?" I asked, still looking down at the cold floor.

"Well, I definitely can't see one so if you know where you're going then feel free to share."

Huffing slightly I leaned back in the chair and stared at Chase. His dark hair was swept messily over his forehead. Eyes focused on whatever he saw out that window.

"Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's not there." I replied softly.

He snorted before turning to look me straight in the eye, "Well, have fun wondering aimlessly looking for the right direction."

"I could always turn back."

"No you can't, when things are done, it's done. End of story. No happy ending."

"There always is a happy ending."

"No Rory, there isn't it."

"Yes, Chase there is!"

"No."

"Yes."

"No!"

"Yes."

"NO! Everyone doesn't always end up happy." Staring at me intently, he ran his fingers threw his messy hair.

"Then did you ever consider that maybe that wasn't the end?"

He opened his mouth to respond but then deciding to keep it closed. Crossing his arms he slouched into the chair and looked away from me. Finally realizing I was right.

"Rachel is dead, we both know this. But what you don't know is that I'm positive that her ending was happy. She died and it led to us finding a cure for this fucking insanity. She had her fair part in this discovery just as much as the rest of us. Rachel played her part. Time for us to fucking man up and play ours."