Chapter Forty Five- Jeremy

I stood still, waiting at the window of a tiny, cheap little ice cream shop.

I couldn't fathom how I was going to betray my best friend. How would she react when she found out that Jeremy Scott had signed up for the rest of his life to become a slave to the King. Worst of all as that she was in an organization to fight against it.

I gazed out the window, watching the smoky grey clouds smog up the sky.

A few minutes later, I heard a massive explosion and a bunch of raspy screams. The ice cream shop employees had frightened express-ions plastered across their faces.

I slowly trudged out of the shop, but then transitioned into a run so I could catch up with what was happening.

I looked around, confused at what I was supposed to do.

"Hurt yourself. Cut your forehead. Bruise you body."

My head snapped up. King Stephen was no where to be seen, but there was no doubt that that was his voice.

"How are you doing that?" I asked nothing on particular.

"You fool! Don't you remember that chip that we had our doctors insert into your arm?" The noise was inside my brain.

"Yes, but how-?"

"You are the only person that can hear it because it connects to your nerves that connect to your brain. That would travel to you eardrums. But the only way we can hear you is if you talk out loud." He sounded genuinely bored.

"So you want me to hurt myself."

"Indeed."

I took a deep breath, grabbed a price of glass, ran to a narrow alleyway and started slicing at my own skin. Beads of red started forming and I knew I was going to get scars from this. I knew that these scars would just be a reminder of the pain.

I then vigorously rubbed my hands onto the asphalt and rubbed the dirt onto my body and face.

When the cops got there o searched for any sort of revealed barcode or something, but was unsuccessful.

I waited another few minutes, until an abnormally looking group came strolling up to the scene.