What's Your Impression?

“Sometimes new ideas can come from something as mundane and functional as your windshield wipers.” Donald Trump

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

Impression: “a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression” New Oxford American Dictionary

Phasing is a musical technique that requires two instruments to play the same melody but at slightly different tempos. The effect produces an almost warbling ring to the music. The style has influenced many electronic composers and produced what some call, “the minimalistic music movement.” But phasing was not the product of a creative mind alone. It was actually the product of windshield wipers on a rainy day in New York and some creative observation. Steve Reich is one of the only composers living that can say they influenced music composition. And some say he's America's greatest living composer. No doubt Reich is a gifted musician and composer, but his inspiration and fame came as a result of his impression of windshield wipers. The greatest gifts we have are often like that. They're often accidental discoveries. But in order to make those discoveries, we have to be paying attention. It takes work to pay attention. However, once we decide to make an effort at noticing what's happening all around us, the world becomes a much richer habitat. No effective drug would have ever been made without a scientists observation of disease and life. No inspirational painting would have ever been created without an artists observation of beauty and soul. And no great automobile would have been produced without an engineers observation of physics and desire. God created us to observe and understand our environment. He created beauty around every corner, over every hilltop, and on every microscopes slide. There is nothing that bears the fingerprint of God that doesn't contain beauty. Those squeaky windshield wipers on that rainy day in New York that most would find distracting and obnoxious had a beauty. Most wouldn't notice it, but Steve Reich did. And he used it to produce even more beauty for the rest of us. That's what God calls us to do. Jesus taught it in the parable of the talents found in Matthew 25:14-30. He said to those who multiplied their talents, “Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful of little; I will set you over much.” We've all been given talents. How are we going to multiply them? Steve Reich did after being inspired by some annoying worn out windshield wipers. What's your inspiration?

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming for?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake