The Strength of Mercy

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” Mahatma Gandhi

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:37-38

Remission: “the cancellation of a debt, charge, or penalty” New Oxford American Dictionary

With tears in his eyes, James Knowles offered whatever apology he could. “I've already forgiven you,” was the answer he received from Beulah Mae Donald. There was hardly a dry eye in that courtroom, and the southern jury quickly ruled in Beulah's favor to the tune of seven million dollars. Two years earlier James Knowles and Henry Hays, both members of the United Klans of America had killed Beulah's son Michael Donald in a racist attack. The seven million dollar verdict bankrupted the klan and with it severely disabled racist and klan organizations around the United States. Forgiveness can be the hardest thing to give, but it can also be the most powerful weapon we can ever wield against ill treatment. I can't help but wonder if the forgiveness that Beulah Mae Donald was able to find in her heart made clear once and for all, to all involved, the evil of racism. Of course there are still evil people in this world doing evil things. But no longer can good people in good conscious sit on the sidelines and allow clear racism to exist. Remission of sins can do something punishment can rarely do, it can change a heart. As an experiment, let's see how man hearts we can change, and see how we're treated because of it. In the end, we may find that a reduction of our mercy is needed.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming for?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you for reading.

Jake